Shot Cumbria cat survives by whisker
Last updated at 17:15, Tuesday, 25 March 2014
A “FRIENDLY” Cumbria cat was left critically injured after being shot by a callous sniper with an air rifle.
Elizabeth Stalker and Edward Bailey, of Swarthmoor, noticed their ginger and white tomcat Larry was acting strangely when he returned home last Tuesday evening.
Miss Stalker, 25, who works as a service manager for Bender in Ulverston, said she and her boyfriend Mr Bailey, 28, did not spot any injuries on Larry at first.
She said: “He was not looking very well, but we did not realise he had been shot. He just was not himself at all. He’s very friendly usually but he was very quiet and stayed under the table on his own.”
Miss Stalker said he had been sick, and thought he may have eaten something or been knocked by a car.
But the following morning Larry was seen by a vet, who revealed the shocking truth.
“He found this lump on his side, and he said there’s an air rifle pellet here,” said Miss Stalker.
The pellet had passed through Larry’s side, penetrating his intestines before lodging in his kidney. The vet operated immediately, and was able to save Larry’s kidney.
Miss Stalker said: “He’s doing OK, but he’s not out of the woods yet.
“It made us feel very angry, and worried in case it happens to anybody else.
“All our neighbours have been calling in asking how he is because he is such a friendly cat, he greets them as well.”
Larry’s warm disposition comes despite a rough start in life when he was found abandoned near Broughton.
“He’s not had much luck,” said Miss Stalker.
A police spokesman confirmed no arrests have been made but investigations are ongoing.
Anyone who may have witnessed the attack or can provide information about the crime is asked to call Cumbria police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
First published at 17:06, Tuesday, 25 March 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targeted by vandals
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together