Queen’s guide from Cumbria is honoured at 50th gala tribute in Ulverston
Last updated at 12:11, Thursday, 17 October 2013
VIPs who gathered to celebrate the life’s work of a Cumbria legend were thrilled as the guest of honour unveiled a hidden talent.
A gala tribute to Cedric Robinson was held at the Coronation Hall in Ulverston on Friday night to mark his 50 years as the Queen’s guide to the Kent Sands.
A packed house watched enthralled as Mr Robinson played a trombone solo – his first public performance in decades.
Lancashire folk band the Houghton Weavers and the award-winning Morecambe Brass Band were among those who also contributed to an evening of tributes and live music.
TV celebrities, including Ken Dodd, Melvyn Bragg and Coronation Street’s Julie Hesmondhalgh appeared on screen to congratulate Mr Robinson on his half century of service.
Mr Robinson, who was joined by Olive, his wife of 53 years, was also praised for his charity work in helping to raise a total of £2.5m for good causes both nationally and closer to home.
One of the highlights of the night saw celebrity antiques expert, and star of BBC’s Bargain Hunt Paul Hayes, perform with his band The Paul Hayes Collection.
The evening was hosted by filmmaker Chris Abram, who funded the event with assistance from the University of Central Lancashire.
Mr Abram said: “It was absolutely fantastic. There was a standing ovation at the end and we’ve had so many complimentary emails.
“There was such a wonderful atmosphere behind the stage, on the stage and in front of the stage.
“We closed the show with a clip of Cedric talking about how he met Olive and how he fell for her wonderful blue eyes.
“We were able to show some old family photos and there wasn’t a dry eye in the house at that point.”
Mr Robinson, who celebrated his 80th birthday earlier this year, has led thousands of people safely across Morecambe Bay over the years.
First published at 17:27, Tuesday, 15 October 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targeted by vandals
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Treasured Barrow booklets returned......45 years later
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|