Mayor urges public to try out volunteer work
Published at 13:12, Monday, 11 June 2012
THE new mayor of Ulverston is aiming to recognise the hard work of volunteers during her year in office.
Councillor Brenda Marr enjoyed her moment in the spotlight yesterday, parading through Ulverston’s sunlit, cobbled streets on Civic Sunday.
Speaking at the reception, Cllr Marr said her message for this year would be for people to “have a go” at volunteering.
She said: “There are so many unsung heroes in our community. We are known as the festival town, but without all the volunteers who help organise and run events, we wouldn’t have any events.
“A lot of people can get a lot of things out of volunteering.”
Following a church service, the parade of dignitaries led by Ulverston Town Band made its way to Market Cross, where Cllr Marr laid a floral tribute. The procession then continued to the Coronation Hall for refreshments.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|