Lowick Show 2013
Last updated at 10:13, Wednesday, 11 September 2013
A COUNTRY show has been hailed a great success – despite being dogged by wet weather for the second successive year.
Lowick Show took place on Saturday, but despite heavy rain throughout the morning, organisers said entries across classes at the event were up on previous years.
The show, now in its 157th year, was back to strength after a number of classes and stalls were cancelled due to torrential rain in 2012.
John Longmire, vice-president of the show, said: “The weather has been disappointing but at least the show has run.
“There’s been an excellent turnout of sheep, cattle and horses and I’d like to thank all those people for entering.
“It’s vitally important for the area to keep the smaller shows going.
“People come and have a day out and it’s great for the community spirit.”
Gary McClure, who holds the Guinness World Record for the largest cooked Cumberland sausage, was at the event.
He said: “The weather is bad but the show has been fantastic.
“It’s about time people started to look at Cumbrian food and what we have to offer.”
Tim Cook, of Spark Bridge, is a Lowick Show regular. He said: “It’s a shame it’s so wet but there is still quite a few people who have turned out for it.
“It’s good to see the home produce tent getting bigger and bigger each year.”
Ian Rawlinson was showing his British blue cattle along with his sons Robert and Richard – who both picked up trophies for their stock.
He said: “My boys have each won C-mex cups. They run four shows – Cartmel, North Lonsdale, Broughton and Lowick and there are points totted up at each.
“Richard picked up most improved stock handler and Robert won the C-mex challenge cup.”
First published at 16:40, Monday, 09 September 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- X Factor star surprises young Barrow fans (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|