Lack of volunteers may mean the end of Ulverston tourist services
Last updated at 16:11, Tuesday, 29 April 2014
VISITORS to a South Lakes town could be left none the wiser about its many attractions unless local volunteers step in to run tourist information services.
South Lakeland District Council removed funding for Ulverston’s tourist information centre in 2011.
Since then information has been provided on an informal, ad hoc, basis by staff at the Coronation Hall booking office.
But SLDC has covered up signs directing visitors to the booking office in order to “avoid confusion”.
Lawrence Conway, chief executive at South Lakeland District Council, said: “The council ceased providing TIC services across the district some years ago but invited local groups or businesses to consider taking these services on and provided funding support over three years to help facilitate that.
“Unfortunately, no group or businesses from the Ulverston community came forward to formally take over TIC services.
“Staff at the Coronation Hall booking office have, however, continued informally giving information out about local sights, events and local hotels.
“They use the leaflets they still have in stock, but have no ability to book accommodation or provide other tourist related services.
“The TIC sign outside the Coronation Hall was covered over to avoid any confusion that the booking office was operating as a TIC, and in reality this has not been the case for a number of years.”
Grange Tourist Information Centre is based in Victoria Hall and has been run almost exclusively by volunteers since SLDC funding was removed.
Town councillor Colin Pickthall said the council was looking at ways to have a new information centre in place by the 2015 tourist season.
He added: “It is vital for the town to have some sort of facility.
“The town council will be eager to help but there’s nothing in the budget for it this year.
“It has to happen, otherwise it would be a major blow for Ulverston’s marketing project.”
First published at 16:10, Tuesday, 29 April 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- Councillor played solitaire during debate on 1,800 Cumbria council job losses
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|