Heart of Ulverston - Disabled mother says she’d be ‘lost’ without caring daughter
Last updated at 10:29, Thursday, 25 July 2013
AN inspirational young girl who looks after her disabled mum every day is up for a Heart of Ulverston Award.
Nine-year-old Madeline Barker does the jobs her mum, Kimberly, has been prevented from doing since a back injury left her unable to leave the house without the use of a wheelchair.
Miss Barker, of Larch Grove, suffered a collapsed disc in 2011 and has since been diagnosed with type one diabetes.
She praised her “little guardian angel” who has had to learn to check her blood levels and give her insulin injections.
Miss Barker said: “I don’t think I would have coped without her.
“She has taken it all on board and gets on with it with a smile on her face.”
Madeline, who joined St John Ambulance to learn how to better care for her mother, helps her get up in the morning and does most of the housework.
Miss Barker, who is in constant pain following two failed major operations, added: “Without her I would be lost.
“I am so proud of her and can’t thank her enough for being there for me.
“She has done really well – it doesn’t seem to have fazed her.”
To highlight the incredible courage Madeline shows every day, and to thank her for all she does, her mum nominated her for the Carer of the Year Award.
The Heart of Ulverston Awards 2013 are sponsored by Ulverston Victoria High School and proudly supported by Siemens, GlaxoSmithKline, Furness College and the Evening Mail. Nominations close on July 12.
- Nomination for football coach
- Community spirit is at the heart of group’s nomination
- Tireless Ulverston school trio up for prize
- Rewarding the carers who go that bit further
- Heart of Ulverston Award sponsor is searching for ‘something a bit different’
- Heart of Ulverston Awards will celebrate the best of town’s enterprising talent
- Recognising those who never surrender
- Ulverston council backs search to honour lifetime achievement
- Readers get to choose Heart of Ulverston Award winner
- Star parent in line for Heart of Ulverston Award
- Heart of Ulverston Award for teacher who inspires a generation
First published at 15:17, Thursday, 20 June 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Fury over Barrow girl's school placement (51 comments)
- Pedestrian airlifted to hospital with life-threatening injuries after Cumbria collision
- Barrow mum’s baby death anger
- Barrow man arrested on suspicion of making threats to kill after two-hour police negotiations
- Dalton man charged with sexual activity with 13-year-old girl
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|