Heart of Ulverston - Community work earns mum nomination from her daughter
Last updated at 10:22, Thursday, 25 July 2013
A TOWN’S true community spirit was evident when a group of residents set about raising money to replace a children’s play structure that burned down.
That is why one of the founding members of the group, which has now replaced the castle at Croftlands playground, is up for a Heart of Ulverston Award.
Michelle Scrogham has been nominated for the Citizen of the Year award, sponsored by the Evening Mail, by her daughter, Laura.
In her nomination, Laura highlighted all the work her mum puts in for the good of the whole town.
She said: “I have nominated my mum because of the sheer amount of work she puts into the festivals and events that happen in Ulverston.”
She said her mum puts in a lot of time ensuring the annual fashion week in the town runs smoothly by organising and promoting the popular event.
Laura added: “She also organised the Croftlands Community Castle Project, raising thousands of pounds and getting a new castle built.
“I am very proud of my mum and think she definitely deserves this award.”
Mrs Scrogham said the reason for all her efforts was simply because she enjoyed it, not to win any awards. She added: “I am very flattered to be nominated – it’s really unexpected.
“I think Croftlands Castle was one of the best feelings, just to see the response we got.”
With help from the community, the group raised so much money it was able to return a donation from the town council.
“I just love Ulverston – I was born here and it’s such a lovely community.”
The Heart of Ulverston Awards 2013 are sponsored by Ulverston Victoria High School and proudly supported by Siemens, GlaxoSmithKline, Furness College and the Evening Mail.
- Music maestro recognised for ‘inspiring a young generation’
- Saxophone star Jess nominated for charity work
- Nomination for football coach
- Ulverston scouts’ driving force nominated for award
- Community spirit is at the heart of group’s nomination
- Hoad lotta love for monument keepers
- Hoad lotta love for monument keepers
- Tireless Ulverston school trio up for prize
- Disabled mother says she’d be ‘lost’ without caring daughter
- Rewarding the carers who go that bit further
- Heart of Ulverston Award sponsor is searching for ‘something a bit different’
- Heart of Ulverston Awards will celebrate the best of town’s enterprising talent
- Recognising those who never surrender
- Ulverston council backs search to honour lifetime achievement
- Readers get to choose Heart of Ulverston Award winner
- Star parent in line for Heart of Ulverston Award
- Heart of Ulverston Award for teacher who inspires a generation
First published at 16:06, Monday, 15 July 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Barrow sports club’s future secured by a new long-term lease
- Askam dad killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court today for sentencing
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|