Heart of Ulverston Awards - Hoad lotta love for monument keepers
Last updated at 10:32, Thursday, 25 July 2013
A SELECT group of selfless volunteers give up their free time to keep an Ulverston landmark open to the public.
That is why the Sir John Barrow monument keepers have been nominated for a Heart of Ulverston Award.
Their willingness to give up their weekends for the good of the community, and those who visit Ulverston, are just part of the reason they are up for as Group of Project of the Year Award, sponsored by Furness Building Society.
Ulverston town clerk Jayne Kendall nominated the group of volunteers for the level of commitment they have shown over the years, as well as recent work to support a local charity.
She said: “The volunteer assistant lighthouse keepers, led by volunteer senior lighthouse keeper Les Tallon, ensure that the Sir John Barrow Monument is opened for the community every weekend.
“It would not be possible to open the monument without their dedication, time and commitment.”
She added: “They also open the monument during the week for elderly and disabled people and also for schools.
“More recently they have worked with Alice’s Escapes charity and collect families from the Alice’s Escapes caravan in Ulverston and take them up to the monument at a time to suit them.”
Alice’s Escapes is a charity set up by local girl Alice Pyne, who died of Hodgkin’s lymphoma earlier this year at the age of 17. The charity aims to provide short breaks to seriously ill children and their families.
The Heart of Ulverston Awards 2013 are sponsored by Ulverston Victoria High School and proudly supported by Siemens, GlaxoSmithKline, Furness College and the Evening Mail.
The winners will be announced at a sparkling ceremony at the Coronation Hall on October 25.
- Nomination for football coach
- Community spirit is at the heart of group’s nomination
- Tireless Ulverston school trio up for prize
- Disabled mother says she’d be ‘lost’ without caring daughter
- Rewarding the carers who go that bit further
- Heart of Ulverston Award sponsor is searching for ‘something a bit different’
- Heart of Ulverston Awards will celebrate the best of town’s enterprising talent
- Recognising those who never surrender
- Ulverston council backs search to honour lifetime achievement
- Readers get to choose Heart of Ulverston Award winner
- Star parent in line for Heart of Ulverston Award
- Heart of Ulverston Award for teacher who inspires a generation
First published at 16:29, Wednesday, 26 June 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|