Dedicated Ulverston girl so honoured to be up for award
Last updated at 12:39, Wednesday, 02 July 2014
A TEENAGE fundraiser who conquered Africa’s tallest mountain in memory of her sister has been recognised for her continued charity work.
• Do you know someone who lives, works, or has a strong connection to Ulverston who you think deserves an award? Click here to nominate them
At last year’s Heart of Ulverston awards, a packed audience at the Coronation Hall applauded the news that Milly Pyne and the team from Alice’s Escapes had reached the summit of Kilimanjaro.
This year, the 15-year-old will be in the running for the Young Citizen of the Year award sponsored by Siemens, thanks to her efforts to raise money and awareness for the charity which is a legacy of her late sister Alice Pyne.
Miss Pyne said: “I feel very honoured to be nominated for an award. The local community supports me so much in everything I do.”
Alice’s Escapes provides holidays for seriously-ill children and their families at caravans in Bardsea Leisure Park, Ulverston. The Kilimanjaro trek raised thousands of pounds to fund Lottie’s Lodge, a new headquarters for the charity.
Miss Pyne said: “The biggest challenge of my life has been climbing Kilimanjaro. It was so incredibly difficult and at times I panicked because I was worried that I’d fail. But I just kept thinking of Alice and how much she fought, she never gave up and I pulled strength from that.
“Standing on the summit was so emotional and I know that Alice would have been so proud of me.”
This year’s Heart of Ulverston Awards, sponsored by the Evening Mail, Siemens, GSK and Ulverston Victoria High School, will be held at the Coronation Hall on October 10.
Prizes will be awarded for Citizen of the Year, Young Citizen of the Year, Group or Project of the Year, Teacher of the Year, Sports Volunteer of the Year, Carer of the Year, Courage Award, Environmental Volunteer, Parent/ Guardian of the Year, Employee of the Year, Lifetime Achievement Award.
Visit the Evening Mail website or go to page 32 to fill out a nomination form. The closing date for nominations is July 12.
First published at 12:35, Wednesday, 02 July 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Police investigate Millom assault
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college (1 comment)
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together