Cumbria runner on mission to set fundraising record
Last updated at 16:36, Tuesday, 27 August 2013
FOR many people, having less than a month to raise vital sponsorship for a major sporting challenge would pose a daunting task.
But Joanne Moore, who is set to take on her first half marathon when she tackles next month’s Great North Run, is turning a potentially precarious fundraising situation into a record-setting attempt.
She aims to set the bar for how much money one individual can raise for charity over 25 days, as she pulls in sponsorship in aid of Ulverston’s St Mary’s Hospice.
The 42-year-old, of Ayside, is running in honour of her dad, John Cummins.
The well-known pub landlord, who spent time running the Brown Horse in Winster, the Punchbowl in Underbarrow and the West County Hotel in Millom, died in Tenerife in 2006.
Mr Cummins died the day after being diagnosed with cancer. He had moved to Tenerife with his partner, Joanne Love, after they lost all their personal possessions in a fire at the Millom pub.
Mrs Moore says his death gave her first hand experience of the importance of end-of-life care.
She said: “The palliative care he received was fantastic.
“I cannot find words to convey the compassionate care provided. It just makes such a difference.”
Mrs Moore’s record-setting efforts will be measured based on the average amount she raises per day between noon on August 21 and noon on September 15, the day of the event. She would like to average a minimum of £100 a day.
The businesswoman first started running when she bought her springer spaniel, and has since joined the Allithwaite Running Club. She hopes her first-timer credentials, her chosen cause and her record-setting effort will encourage people to get behind her.
She said: “With something like St Mary’s, you can see the benefit it’s having for local people and you can see all that hard work on your doorstep. It’s important that we support something as special as that locally.”
To sponsor Mrs Moore, visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/stmaryshospice or text JMAP77 and the amount you want to give to 70070.
First published at 16:33, Tuesday, 27 August 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- "Fantastic victory" for Barrow - increase in train services announced
- Barrow footballer who suffered stroke tells of goal to get back on pitch
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- Case of Barrow man charged with attempted murder adjourned
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|