Cumbria police investigating historic sex offences in schools
Last updated at 13:53, Thursday, 24 July 2014
CUMBRIA police detectives are investigating historic abuse at schools in the county.
Allegations of historic abuse at a number of schools in the South Lakes area have been reported to police who have confirmed an in-depth investigation is under way.
Detectives have refused to disclose which schools are involved in the investigation.
A police spokesman said: “We are still assessing the information we have to establish any links, although a number of different establishments are involved.”
DCI Doug Marshall for the Public Protection Unit said: “Historical child abuse cases have been highlighted in the media in recent months, and as a result we have seen a rise in the number of incidents that are being reported to us that took place a number of years ago.
“We are committed to prosecuting anyone who is found to have been abusing and exploiting children or young people.
“It is never too late to report abuse, and all reports will be dealt with professionally and sensitively.”
Anyone who has any concerns, or would like to report sexual abuse, should call Cumbria Police on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
First published at 12:38, Thursday, 24 July 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Barrow MP among 19 to have had parliamentary credit card suspended
- UPDATE: Four arrested in Windermere murder investigation
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- Man stabbed in leg during Cumbria assault
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- A590 path repair project announced (1 comment)
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Barrow Raiders hoping to roar in Lion's den
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success (1 comment)
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan (1 comment)
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow football fan banned after shouting abuse (1 comment)
- Cumbria rail provider: Hamster, false teeth and Barry Manilow CD among lost items (1 comment)
- Barrovian's World Cup brace helps England smash Japan
- 'Unacceptable' 100-mile round journeys for Barrow disability assessments (1 comment)
- Enjoy the sun: Best beaches in south Cumbria (1 comment)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|