Christmas card winner sees vision come to life
Last updated at 16:09, Sunday, 09 December 2012
A BUDDING young artist’s dreams came true when she won a prize that put her festive picture into production.
Summer Sheeran, from Low Furness School, Great Urswick, produced the winning design in the Evening Mail’s Christmas card competition.
The 10-year-old’s picture of “a silhouette of Santa on the moon” was picked as the most outstanding entry in the competition by a panel of judges. The schoolgirl was over the moon her picture had been chosen.
The Year Six pupil said: “It is the first time I have ever won a competition. I was shocked when I found out I had won.”
The winner was then whisked off to push the start button to put her card into production at Milners printers in Barrow.
Summer’s auntie, Rosie Sykes, accompanied her. A total of 330 cards were printed. Summer was thrilled when she got to take home 30 blank cards to send out to friends and family.
She said her mum and dad are very proud of her and she plans to have the card framed.
On the big day, Summer and Ms Sykes arrived early at the printing factory and were shown how to use some of the machinery that would kick-start the process. The VIP treatment they received at Milners left them feeling like celebrities.
Summer said: “I felt like I was famous.”
Ms Sykes said: “It was fantastic. We were treated like superstars.”
However, the prizes didn’t stop there for the Leece girl.
She also received a £40 voucher that she now hopes to spend on art supplies to help with her next design.
First published at 13:07, Sunday, 09 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Congratulations Summer, keep up the good work!
Make your comment
- Furness General midwife admits blunders which led to deaths of two babies
- Cumbria service that helps patients returning home gets extra funding
- Relief as second Cumbria climber accounted for after Nepal quake
- Cumbria mountaineer describes horrifying moment Nepal earthquake struck
- Cumbria man airlifted to hospital after ladder fall
- Signalling problems causing delays for Cumbria passengers
- Child's BMX bike stolen in Barrow
- Range Rover damaged in Broughton
- Cumbria runners set for London Marathon
- Millom Rugby Union Club awarded £10,000 grant (2 comments)
- Hundreds of Barrow AFC fans attend title homecoming celebration
- Barrow AFC crowned Conference North champions: with picture gallery (25 comments)
- Special day for Barrow AFC skipper
- Proud Edmo hails Barrow AFC title success: with picture gallery
- Crarey delight as Barrow Raiders run riot (3 comments)
- Holker cruise into play-offs: with picture gallery
- Furness start title defence in style: with picture gallery
- Glasson take the spoils at Ulverston
- Barrow AFC trophy presentation at Holker Street
- Jubilant Barrow fans speak of joy and relief (2 comments)
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton