Celebrities including Jamie Oliver and Carol Vorderman support Ulverston girl Alice’s Twitter goal
Last updated at 12:31, Friday, 30 November 2012
CELEBRITIES lent their support as brave teen Alice Pyne staged a Twitter takeover in memory of a friend.
Top chef Jamie Oliver and TV personality Carol Vorderman were among the big names to get behind the 16-year-old’s call for new bone marrow donors.
She set herself the challenge of getting the Twitter hashtag #OneLifeLiveIt trending on the social media site on Wednesday evening.
Almost 1,000 people were tweeting, getting the message out to more than 5.5m people.
Between 5pm and 6pm, 695 tweets were sent containing the hashtag, with around 500 more sent over the rest of the evening.
She called upon people to join in and raise awareness of the need for bone marrow donors by tweeting her message to their followers – aiming to make it one of the most talked about topics on Twitter.
Jamie Oliver tweeted: “Join the bone marrow register & help save the life of someone like Alice Pyne, lets get #OneLifeLiveIt trending.”
And Carol Vorderman helped to spread the word by mentioning Alice’s efforts on ITV show Loose Women and sending a tweet of her own.
On her blog, Alice said she was driven to do something in memory of her friend Oliver Parrs, who she met in hospital.
She added: “Olli lost his fight last year but we used to have so much fun and when I was thinking of a motto for living life to the full, I thought of all the giggles we used to have together.
“So if this trends today, it’s for Olli and I hope that we get loads more people onto the bone marrow registers and save others from dying.”
Alice said she “missed the laughs” she had with her best friend in hospital.
She added: “I’m trying to get everyone to tweet it to raise awareness of my blog and my number one wish of getting everyone to join bone marrow registers around the world.”
First published at 12:29, Friday, 30 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- "Fantastic victory" for Barrow - increase in train services announced
- Barrow footballer who suffered stroke tells of goal to get back on pitch
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- Case of Barrow man charged with attempted murder adjourned
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|