Campaigner inspired by tragedy up for Heart of Ulverston award
Last updated at 14:56, Wednesday, 09 July 2014
A MUM who turned a personal tragedy into her inspiration to campaign for young people’s health has been nominated for a Heart of Ulverston award.
• Do you know someone who lives, works, or has a strong connection to Ulverston who you think deserves an award? Click here to nominate them
Sharen Stables, of Clarence Street, Ulverston, has been put forward for the Project of the Year category, sponsored by Furness Building Society, for her work with the charity, Cardiac Risk in the Young, to arrange heart screening days for young people aged 14 to 35.
She started raising awareness and money in the fight against sudden arrhythmic cardiac death syndrome after her 22-year-old son, Lee, died while he was backpacking in Goa, India, in 2002.
Mrs Stables said: “I’m really touched, I think it’s lovely but I’m shocked.
“If I can get 100 kids tested, it might not sound like a big amount, but it’s 100 kids that know they are alright.
“I’m hoping to do it every year.”
Mrs Stables organised the latest screening session on Sunday.
The event was a great success, with dozens of young people signing up to have their heart’s checked and some being referred for further assessment.
Mrs Stables was able to organise it while she was still recovering from breast cancer.
She said: “My aim was to be better for Sunday July 6 which was the screening date, and I did it.
“I’m six months behind now with my fundraising because I had breast cancer so I’m trying to get caught up.”
Mrs Stables, who was born in Ulverston, said she is delighted to be recognised. She said: “I just love Ulverston, I love the fact everybody knows everybody.
“When I’m fundraising, people are very generous and all the shops donate. People support each other and it’s a lovely community in Ulverston.
“I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else.”
This year’s Heart of Ulverston Awards, proudly sponsored by the Evening Mail, Siemens, GSK and Ulverston Victoria High School, will be held at the Coronation Hall on October 10.
Prizes will be awarded for 11 categories: Citizen of the Year, Young Citizen of the Year, Group or Project of the Year, Teacher of the Year, Sports Volunteer of the Year, Carer of the Year, Courage Award, Environmental Volunteer, Parent/ Guardian of the Year, Employee of the Year, Lifetime Achievement Award. Nominations can be made with the form opposite or through our website.
First published at 14:52, Wednesday, 09 July 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Barrow woman attacked man with ashtray
- Tributes to ‘lovely’ and ‘kind’ Barrow dad who died suddenly (1 comment)
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business
- Sir David Attenborough is top of class with young Barrow fans
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- South Cumbria man who attacked girlfriend and his dad spared jail term
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Calendar will boost fund and raise awareness of childhood disabilities
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow burglar admits stealing car in Ulverston
- Barrow Raiders defeated at Swinton Lions
- Furness Select secure win over Barrow AFC
- Walney Central lose Cumbria Cup final
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- WEDDING ALBUM: Katie Anne Hillman and Christopher Michael Low
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|