Call to harass council to help revive Ulverston outdoor market
Published at 16:13, Tuesday, 24 June 2014
A FORMER mayor has urged local representatives to “make life a misery” for council bosses until more is done to revive a town’s struggling outdoor markets.
Speaking at a meeting of Ulverston Town Council, Councillor Judy Pickthall blamed South Lakeland District Council for the lack of stalls at the town’s Thursday and Saturday markets.
Cllr Pickthall argued that the district council had not taken advantage of the recently imposed market day closures of Market Street and New Market Street to recruit new stall holders into the town.
She said: “Some traders left because they felt they were unsafe in New Market Street.
“South Lakes did not attempt to ask traders who had been there in the past to come back and in fact it was the town council who had to remind SLDC that it was their responsibility to get this traffic order in place.
“They are making a really bad job of it and they haven’t taken the opportunity to relaunch the markets.”
Cllr Pickthall said Ulverston could follow the example of successful markets in Thirsk and Todmorden.
She called for innovative ideas such as letting young entrepreneurs run stalls and cited the debut success of Another Fine Fest as evidence that the town is capable of attracting market traders.
She said: “What is troubling is the volunteers who run the festivals have been more successful at creating a buzz in the town than SLDC.”
Councillor Phil Lister said: “Amateurs on their first time out got far more market traders on Market Street than the professionals who are paid to do it.”
Cllr Pickthall said: “What I’m asking is for all the district councillors to make life difficult for SLDC, take this to Kendal, harass them and make their lives a misery.”
The town council voted in favour of inviting councillor Giles Archibald, SLDC portfolio holder for town centres and small business, to Ulverston to see the problem first hand.
Cllr Archibald was unavailable for comment.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Ice bucket challenge videos
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- Judge overrules Ulverston supermarket decision (7 comments)
- Barrow AFC boss favourite for Mansfield job (7 comments)
- Millom man arrested on suspicion of murdering girlfriend in Kenya
- Ulverston supermarket: Decision could be made this week (3 comments)
- UPDATE: Woman airlifted to hospital and road closed after Barrow crash
- Barrow dad-of-two baited dogs to attack cat and sheep (33 comments)
- Barrow woman in tears as court orders dog to be destroyed (28 comments)
- Homebase in talks with discount chain for Barrow (30 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss steps down (6 comments)
Post 16 education
Go green 36
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|