Ulverston steel business expansion plan given approval
Last updated at 17:03, Friday, 25 January 2013
A SUCCESSFUL Ulverston business has been given the green light to expand.
Thor Atkinson, based at Newland, near to the town, is now set to construct a 15 metre by 30 metre building at his firm’s existing premises.
Members of South Lakeland District Council’s planning committee unanimously approved the request for extra workspace at its meeting in Kendal on Thursday.
They added the steel fabrication business should be commended for its prosperity and growth in spite of the tough economic climate.
“It’s nice to see someone doing well in these hard times,” said Councillor Brian Cooper.
“I think we have to do what we can to help these self-employed people, because it’s not easy.”
The committee was told that Thor Atkinson Steel Fabrications Ltd was set up 13 years ago by Mr Atkinson.
The firm has grown since then to become one of Ulverston’s larger businesses, employing 40 people.
Ulverston representative Cllr Janette Jenkinson claimed she was proud to see the application come forward as it was proof of the continued success of a local company.
“I think we should be rightly proud of this young man.
He started as a one-man welder, is very skilled and is now employing a good number of local people.
“This business has caused very few issues in the area over the years and I believe we should be supporting this application.”
First published at 16:43, Friday, 25 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college (1 comment)
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third (4 comments)
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together