Ulverston steel business expansion plan given approval
Last updated at 17:03, Friday, 25 January 2013
A SUCCESSFUL Ulverston business has been given the green light to expand.
Thor Atkinson, based at Newland, near to the town, is now set to construct a 15 metre by 30 metre building at his firm’s existing premises.
Members of South Lakeland District Council’s planning committee unanimously approved the request for extra workspace at its meeting in Kendal on Thursday.
They added the steel fabrication business should be commended for its prosperity and growth in spite of the tough economic climate.
“It’s nice to see someone doing well in these hard times,” said Councillor Brian Cooper.
“I think we have to do what we can to help these self-employed people, because it’s not easy.”
The committee was told that Thor Atkinson Steel Fabrications Ltd was set up 13 years ago by Mr Atkinson.
The firm has grown since then to become one of Ulverston’s larger businesses, employing 40 people.
Ulverston representative Cllr Janette Jenkinson claimed she was proud to see the application come forward as it was proof of the continued success of a local company.
“I think we should be rightly proud of this young man.
He started as a one-man welder, is very skilled and is now employing a good number of local people.
“This business has caused very few issues in the area over the years and I believe we should be supporting this application.”
First published at 16:43, Friday, 25 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Barrow sports club’s future secured by a new long-term lease
- Askam dad killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|