Ulverston steel business expansion plan given approval
Last updated at 17:03, Friday, 25 January 2013
A SUCCESSFUL Ulverston business has been given the green light to expand.
Thor Atkinson, based at Newland, near to the town, is now set to construct a 15 metre by 30 metre building at his firm’s existing premises.
Members of South Lakeland District Council’s planning committee unanimously approved the request for extra workspace at its meeting in Kendal on Thursday.
They added the steel fabrication business should be commended for its prosperity and growth in spite of the tough economic climate.
“It’s nice to see someone doing well in these hard times,” said Councillor Brian Cooper.
“I think we have to do what we can to help these self-employed people, because it’s not easy.”
The committee was told that Thor Atkinson Steel Fabrications Ltd was set up 13 years ago by Mr Atkinson.
The firm has grown since then to become one of Ulverston’s larger businesses, employing 40 people.
Ulverston representative Cllr Janette Jenkinson claimed she was proud to see the application come forward as it was proof of the continued success of a local company.
“I think we should be rightly proud of this young man.
He started as a one-man welder, is very skilled and is now employing a good number of local people.
“This business has caused very few issues in the area over the years and I believe we should be supporting this application.”
First published at 16:43, Friday, 25 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- Judge overrules Ulverston supermarket decision (7 comments)
- Ulverston supermarket: Decision could be made this week (3 comments)
- Edmo 'not interested' in leaving Barrow AFC (1 comment)
- Barrow AFC boss favourite for Mansfield job (7 comments)
- Millom man arrested on suspicion of murdering girlfriend in Kenya
- Barrow dad-of-two baited dogs to attack cat and sheep (33 comments)
- Barrow woman in tears as court orders dog to be destroyed (28 comments)
- Homebase in talks with discount chain for Barrow (30 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss steps down (6 comments)
Post 16 education
Go green 36
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|