Ulverston steel business expansion plan given approval
Last updated at 17:03, Friday, 25 January 2013
A SUCCESSFUL Ulverston business has been given the green light to expand.
Thor Atkinson, based at Newland, near to the town, is now set to construct a 15 metre by 30 metre building at his firm’s existing premises.
Members of South Lakeland District Council’s planning committee unanimously approved the request for extra workspace at its meeting in Kendal on Thursday.
They added the steel fabrication business should be commended for its prosperity and growth in spite of the tough economic climate.
“It’s nice to see someone doing well in these hard times,” said Councillor Brian Cooper.
“I think we have to do what we can to help these self-employed people, because it’s not easy.”
The committee was told that Thor Atkinson Steel Fabrications Ltd was set up 13 years ago by Mr Atkinson.
The firm has grown since then to become one of Ulverston’s larger businesses, employing 40 people.
Ulverston representative Cllr Janette Jenkinson claimed she was proud to see the application come forward as it was proof of the continued success of a local company.
“I think we should be rightly proud of this young man.
He started as a one-man welder, is very skilled and is now employing a good number of local people.
“This business has caused very few issues in the area over the years and I believe we should be supporting this application.”
First published at 16:43, Friday, 25 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|