Ulverston man jailed for ‘I’ll burn you’ threat
Last updated at 15:06, Sunday, 19 January 2014
A DRUNKEN Ulverston man assaulted his partner and threatened to set her on fire, a court heard.
Steven Millard was overheard to say while a 999 call was being made “Do that to me again, swear to God, I’ll set you on fire”.
Millard, 34, of William Street, Ulverston was yesterday given 10 months’ jail by a judge at Preston Crown Court.
He committed the assault in defiance of bail conditions that prevented him from contacting Cally Shaw, after admitting earlier offences of assault by beating and one of intimidation.
Mr Peter Barr, prosecuting, said Millard had pushed Ms Shaw against a door frame during an argument at her Ulverston home after they returned from an all-day drinking session to discover the dog had made a mess, having been locked in all day.
The courts barred Millard from contacting Ms Shaw following that incident as he awaited sentence, but while he was on bail a 999 call to police was made from Ms Shaw’s address after midnight on December 29. A male voice was heard to say “I swear to God mate I’ll kill you.
“Do anything like that again, I’ll stamp on your head. Touch that phone, I’ll kill you.”
The phone line went dead after a female was heard to say “help me”.
Ms Shaw later told police Millard had turned up drunk at her door, shouting and swearing. He had pushed his way into the house when she went to let the dog out.
As a result, she fell and struck her head. She believed she may have been unconscious for a matter of moments.
She added that he had gone on to threaten her “If you go to court you’re dead. You are going to get burned.”
Mr Richard Bennett, defending, said “The defendant had been drunk when the offences occurred. There was no excuse for him going back to her home.”
Judge Stuart Baker made a two year restraining order, barring Millard from having any contact her.
He told him: “You knew very well she was a witness in criminal proceedings. That is a particularly serious offence.”
First published at 14:48, Sunday, 19 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- X Factor star surprises young Barrow fans (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|