Ulverston man jailed for 11 years after 'degrading' attack
Published at 17:23, Sunday, 27 October 2013
A MAN who raped a woman while she was sleeping in his bed after a get-together at his South Cumbrian cottage has been sent to prison for 45 months.
Kristopher Milburn, 24, was also ordered to register with the police as a sex offender for the rest of his life when he appeared at Carlisle Crown Court yesterday.
Prosecuting counsel Alex Leach told the court that the 20-year-old woman was one of several people who had gone to the cottage in Cartmel, which was provided for Milburn while he was working as a chef at the Royal Oak pub next door.
When most of them went home, she asked Milburn, whom she knew, if she could spend the night there since she had no money for a taxi.
He suggested she could sleep with him in his bed – “a common practice among these friends,” Mr Leach said – and the pair of them fell asleep, fully clothed.
But in the middle of the night she woke to find that he had pulled up her ankle-length dress and was having sex with her.
The woman then walked home, but next day Milburn sent her a series of text messages apologising for what he had done, Mr Leach said.
The court heard the incident happened on Boxing Day 2011 but, though she told some of her university friends about it, it was nearly a year before she informed the police.
Mr Leach said the rape had had “a crushing impact” on her.
Milburn, of Fell Drive, Grange, pleaded guilty to a single charge of rape.
In mitigation his barrister Kim Whittlestone said Milburn – a “rather naïve young man” – had turned to drink and drugs as a way of dealing with his “troubled background”.
She said that on the night of the rape both he and the woman had consumed alcohol and cannabis.
Passing sentence, Judge Paul Batty QC told Milburn: “She had no expectation of being sexually abused because you were a friend and she trusted you. But you breached that trust in the most appalling way.
“I have no doubt that it will take a very long time indeed for her to get over what you did to her.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|