Ulverston girl Tegan’s a cut above
Last updated at 17:30, Friday, 21 December 2012
A THOUGHTFUL little girl has surrendered her long locks to raise money for a cancer unit – after she was touched by the plight of her “best teacher ever”.
Tegan Friday came up the idea to have her long hair cut as a fundraiser for the oncology unit at Furness General Hospital.
The eight-year-old devised the touching gesture out of affection for a former teacher, who does not wish to be named, who has been diagnosed with cancer.
Mobile hairdresser Kelly Shepherd was delighted to offer her services for free and cut nine to 10 inches off Tegan’s hair at her Ulverston home.
Tegan specially selected Monday for her big chop because it was a “special day” – her mum Rachel Barton and her husband Karl’s first wedding anniversary.
Mrs Barton, 34, said: “She says she is her best teacher ever and wanted to try and help her in that way.
“She is very caring and thoughtful.
“She is one of those kids who will help anyone she can.
“She always has time to give to something worthwhile.”
The charity chop raised £150 for the unit, but Tegan’s goodwill does not stop there.
Her family plans to donate Tegan’s hair to the Little Princess Trust, which provides real-hair wigs to boys and girls across the UK and Ireland that have lost their own hair through cancer treatment.
Along with her brother Jacob, five, she also made cakes and biscuits with her grandparents and sold them door-to-door, raising £30 for Children in Need.
Mrs Barton said of Tegan, who is also sister to six-month-old Alfie: “She’s obviously going to be some sort of charity worker when she’s older.”
Hairdresser Ms Shepherd said: “I was over the moon to be asked to cut Tegan's hair, especially when her mum mentioned her reasons for doing so.
“She’s raised such a lot of money and its such a wonderful gesture for a child of eight years old.”
First published at 16:23, Thursday, 20 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
What a lovely thought from a lovely little girl. I hope she's happy with her new haircut. Well done sweetheart x
Make your comment
- Cumbria mountaineer describes horrifying moment Nepal earthquake struck
- Cumbria man airlifted to hospital after ladder fall
- Signalling problems causing delays for Cumbria passengers
- Child's BMX bike stolen in Barrow
- Range Rover damaged in Broughton
- Cumbria runners set for London Marathon
- Millom Rugby Union Club awarded £10,000 grant (2 comments)
- Australian children send war tributes to South Cumbria
- Barrow attack victim: 'I was left for dead'
- Rescuers called out twice to missing walkers on Cumbria mountain
- Jubilant Barrow fans speak of joy and relief
- Barrow AFC crowned Conference North champions: with picture gallery (19 comments)
- Casson over the moon with Barrow AFC title success (6 comments)
- Edmondson hails title-winning Barrow AFC
- Barrow AFC fans ready for Lowestoft title decider:with picture gallery
- We give Barrow AFC fans the lowdown on Lowestoft
- Superfan’s 6,500 mile trip to see Barrow AFC
- Day of destiny for Barrow AFC
- Edmo calls on Barrow AFC to write club history
- AFC Fylde boss still believes his side can pip Barrow AFC to title
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton