Trial over Barrow man's child sex charges
Published at 16:00, Friday, 15 February 2013
A PENSIONER will stand trial charged with a string of historical sex offences dating back 30 years.
Robert Savage, 70, of Lesh Lane, Barrow, has pleaded not guilty to the charges and his trial is due to begin in Barrow Crown Court on May 13.
A trial had previously been scheduled to take place in Preston but was delayed due to Savage’s ill health.
Savage faces three charges of buggery by a person over 16 with a boy under 16.
He also faces six charges of indecent assault on a boy under 16.
All of the offences are alleged to have taken place between 1973 and 1977 and to have been committed against the same victim.
His case was previously committed for trial at Preston Crown Court on Friday, November 18.
However, this trial did not go ahead due to his ill health.
A judge in Preston Crown Court ordered the trial take place in Barrow in May so it was easier for Savage to attend and to give him time to recover from his ill health.
His trial is expected to last until May 19.
Savage is on bail with conditions, including that he does not have any unsupervised contact with anyone under 18 and that he must present himself to police officers at his home any time between 8am and 10pm.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|