Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Tuesday, 07 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Trial day four: Barrow accused ‘panicked’ and did not want to fight

AN ALLEGED Barrow attacker claimed he panicked in fear after a feud with a gym owner resulted in an early hours house call, a court heard.

Report from day three: Accused in Barrow beating trial ‘horrified’ over injuries
Report from day two: Trial over Barrow gym boss assault continues
Report from day one: Neighbour ‘sickened’ by Barrow attack

Callum O’Hare is on trial in Preston Crown Court charged with grievous bodily harm with intent and causing grievous bodily harm to Stan Dewhurst, owner of Flex Appeal gym in Barrow, on March 25 2012.

O’Hare, of Abbey Road, Barrow, said he had made a remark about a woman on Facebook who had tried to get his friend in trouble, which resulted in Mr Dewhurst repeatedly threatening him, including making the offer of a fight near O’Hare’s workplace.

O’Hare said: “He was saying ‘I’m going to kick your head in, come down the back of EKs and I am going to smash your head in.’

“I kept saying ‘who are you’. He said ‘it doesn’t matter who I am’.

“I hung up on him.”

O’Hare said the abusive calls continued.

On a night out on March 24, he said he was attacked by Mr Dewhurst in the toilets of Manhattans nightclub in Cavendish Street, when he was on the phone in the toilet.

Immediately, he took off his £110 All Saints T-shirt, fearing it would be ripped, and ran.

The two men were shouting at each other by the club entrance when O’Hare was asked to leave.

He met his girlfriend in Club M before they returned home.

He told the court he phoned Mr Dewhurst to try to resolve the issue but ended up texting him asking him to come to his house and calling him “soft”.

O’Hare said he had not expected Mr Dewhurst to turn up and said he was “showing off” to his girlfriend. Some time between 5am and 5.30am Mr Dewhurst arrived, and his friend Lee Kellett send a text to O’Hare’s girlfriend which said “we’re outside.”

Fearing Mr Dewhurst would attempt to force his way into O’Hare’s family home he told the court he rushed from the house with a knuckleduster in his pocket, with no shirt on.

He did not use the knuckleduster and said he had panicked. He confronted Mr Dewhurst and said he repeatedly asked what the problem was but Mr Dewhurst began kicking out.

O’Hare was struck “20 or 30 times” and said he had a dead leg.

He grabbed Mr Dewhurst’s leg and the pair lost balance and scuffled.

O’Hare said he punched Mr Dewhurst “three or four times” and stopped when he believed he was unconscious, before running into his house, where he suffered an asthma attack.

He told the court he did not know the extent of Mr Dewhurst’s injuries, which were treated with metal plates and a bone graft, until he was arrested.

However, Mr David Potter, prosecuting, read from a text message O’Hare had sent on March 27 which said: “He started up town and ended up coming up my house at half four wanting a fight.

“I have him one in Abbey Road and sparked him.

“Lucky Lee Kellet come with him and stopped me.

“Apparently his face is in a bad way, I’ve got a broken hand but that’s all!”

O’Hare repeatedly said he had not wanted to fight.

The trial continues.



North West Evening Mail What's on search

Powered by

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk

Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:


Will government plans to boost home ownership help you?



Show Result

Resource Cumbria

The Forum

F. Dickinson footwear

Homes and gardens 22

To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out