Top chef Jean-Christophe Novelli will be star of Furness food festival
Last updated at 16:32, Monday, 28 January 2013
ONE of the world’s top chefs is looking forward to headlining Furness’ first ever food festival.
Michelin star chef Jean-Christophe Novelli will head to Barrow in June as one of the headline acts for the South Cumbria and Furness International Food Festival.
The event will take place in and around the town centre on the weekend of June 8 and Mr Novelli said he was excited to be taking part.
He said: “It is the first time the festival is happening and it is nice to be part of something that is new and exciting.”
Mr Novelli is no stranger to the county, having been a visitor to Lake District for more than 20 years. He has also taken part in the annual Whitehaven Festival several times.
A fan of Cumbrian produce, he collaborated with Gerard Richardson MBE for cookery books ‘A Mad Frog and An Englishman… go out in the Cumbrian Sun’ and ‘A Mad Frog and An Englishman... go fishing’, which saw the pair go fishing off the Cumbrian coast.
Mr Novelli said he was planning to bring his family along this time and is hoping to do some open water swimming in the Lake District as part of his training for the London Triathlon.
He said: “I always like coming to Cumbria. I have been to Barrow before, though I have never stayed, but I think this time I will. Cumbria is one of the richest and most exciting counties in Great Britain and I’ll be bringing my family.”
Mr Novelli said he was planning to prepare some exciting dishes and was looking forward to appearing alongside Sunday Brunch star Simon Rimmer and local chef Ooy Rigg.
He said: “It is good to be there with Simon Rimmer, and chef Ooy, who is a great Thai chef. I feel privileged to have been asked to take part, it is an honour.”
The South Cumbria and Furness Food Festival will see chefs carrying out cooking displays around Barrow town centre.
More details of the festival, which will be ticketed, are set to be revealed later this month.
First published at 16:10, Monday, 28 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Its really good for the town to be showing off its attractions and eating establishments, Jean~Christophe is a world authority on food and his visit will be welcome by all, with a little luck more will follow suit.
Make your comment
- Askam dad 37 killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court today for sentencing
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery