Top chef Jean-Christophe Novelli will be star of Furness food festival
Last updated at 16:32, Monday, 28 January 2013
ONE of the world’s top chefs is looking forward to headlining Furness’ first ever food festival.
Michelin star chef Jean-Christophe Novelli will head to Barrow in June as one of the headline acts for the South Cumbria and Furness International Food Festival.
The event will take place in and around the town centre on the weekend of June 8 and Mr Novelli said he was excited to be taking part.
He said: “It is the first time the festival is happening and it is nice to be part of something that is new and exciting.”
Mr Novelli is no stranger to the county, having been a visitor to Lake District for more than 20 years. He has also taken part in the annual Whitehaven Festival several times.
A fan of Cumbrian produce, he collaborated with Gerard Richardson MBE for cookery books ‘A Mad Frog and An Englishman… go out in the Cumbrian Sun’ and ‘A Mad Frog and An Englishman... go fishing’, which saw the pair go fishing off the Cumbrian coast.
Mr Novelli said he was planning to bring his family along this time and is hoping to do some open water swimming in the Lake District as part of his training for the London Triathlon.
He said: “I always like coming to Cumbria. I have been to Barrow before, though I have never stayed, but I think this time I will. Cumbria is one of the richest and most exciting counties in Great Britain and I’ll be bringing my family.”
Mr Novelli said he was planning to prepare some exciting dishes and was looking forward to appearing alongside Sunday Brunch star Simon Rimmer and local chef Ooy Rigg.
He said: “It is good to be there with Simon Rimmer, and chef Ooy, who is a great Thai chef. I feel privileged to have been asked to take part, it is an honour.”
The South Cumbria and Furness Food Festival will see chefs carrying out cooking displays around Barrow town centre.
More details of the festival, which will be ticketed, are set to be revealed later this month.
First published at 16:10, Monday, 28 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Its really good for the town to be showing off its attractions and eating establishments, Jean~Christophe is a world authority on food and his visit will be welcome by all, with a little luck more will follow suit.
Make your comment
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targeted by vandals
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together