Tips for selling your business
Last updated at 16:29, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
THERE are many reasons to consider trying to sell your business – you want to retire, try something new, you have made a big success of it and want to realise its worth or, on the more negative side, you have fallen out with your fellow partners/directors or you lack the knowledge/impetus to continue and would be better letting someone else take over.
For whatever reason you wish to sell, once a buyer is found there is a considerable amount of information to make available to them and being prepared in advance takes away much of the stress at the time. At the least, you may need to provide the following:
- Details of your contracts – both those with your customers and those from your suppliers.
- Employees – when a business is sold the employees status is preserved by statute. Whilst their boss may change, nothing else does.
- Accounts – at least three years. These should give the buyer a picture of the business – its profitability (or otherwise), and its consistency over time.
- Assets – just what does the business own?
- Your plans for the future – will you become a competitor? Or are you wishing to get as far away as possible?
- Business property – will you keep it or let it to the new business owner?
The above are a few of the main points to consider when selling a business.
You should consult your legal adviser at the earliest opportunity to assist not only with the preparation of sale agreements but also to advise you on your negotiations with the buyer.
Turn to Poole Townsend when you are considering selling your business.
Call the Commercial Property team on: 01229 811811.
Your first appointment is always FREE and without obligation.
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
First published at 15:55, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|