Tips for selling your business
Last updated at 16:29, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
THERE are many reasons to consider trying to sell your business – you want to retire, try something new, you have made a big success of it and want to realise its worth or, on the more negative side, you have fallen out with your fellow partners/directors or you lack the knowledge/impetus to continue and would be better letting someone else take over.
For whatever reason you wish to sell, once a buyer is found there is a considerable amount of information to make available to them and being prepared in advance takes away much of the stress at the time. At the least, you may need to provide the following:
- Details of your contracts – both those with your customers and those from your suppliers.
- Employees – when a business is sold the employees status is preserved by statute. Whilst their boss may change, nothing else does.
- Accounts – at least three years. These should give the buyer a picture of the business – its profitability (or otherwise), and its consistency over time.
- Assets – just what does the business own?
- Your plans for the future – will you become a competitor? Or are you wishing to get as far away as possible?
- Business property – will you keep it or let it to the new business owner?
The above are a few of the main points to consider when selling a business.
You should consult your legal adviser at the earliest opportunity to assist not only with the preparation of sale agreements but also to advise you on your negotiations with the buyer.
Turn to Poole Townsend when you are considering selling your business.
Call the Commercial Property team on: 01229 811811.
Your first appointment is always FREE and without obligation.
Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
First published at 15:55, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (7 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (8 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (5 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|