Three years' prison for Millom bomb hoax caller
Last updated at 16:45, Sunday, 26 January 2014
A DISABLED woman who caused panic at a community hospital in Cumbria with a hoax bomb threat has been jailed.
Jacqueline Hustler, aged 48, from Moorgate Avenue in Bradford, was sentenced to three years in prison at Bradford Crown Court yesterday.
Hustler had called Millom Community Hospital, Westmorland General Hospital and a Marks and Spencer’s store in Kendal warning of a bomb on the premises.
She had made a series of similar threats in other areas.
Staff at Millom Hospital received the call on Tuesday, October 29 warning of a bomb on the premises.
The call was made using a voice distorter.
Hustler was arrested the same day. She pleaded guilty to charges of communicating false information with intent.
Judge John Potter, sentencing, said Hustler was responsible for “a campaign of making bomb hoax calls”.
He said: “Members of the public going about their lawful business were evacuated from a number of locations, no doubt causing them, at the least, inconvenience and almost certainly significant alarm and distress.
“You are a menace to our community.”
Miss Sophie Drake, defending, said her client was physically disabled, partially sighted and hard of hearing. She was socially isolated, lonely and had few friends.
She said: “She is very frightened and very vulnerable. She says she hates what she does.”
Detective Inspector Ryan Bragg, of Bradford CID, said: “Hustler made a number of hoax calls, which were understandably treated as serious threats and caused panic and distress to those who received them.”
First published at 16:41, Sunday, 26 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
She (Hustler) says she hates what she does.
She shouldn't do it, then we'd all be happy.
Make your comment
- Facebook friends rally round to give Barrow dog life-saving surgery (1 comment)
- Barrow pharmacist is first to prescribe drugs without the doctor
- Heart of Ulverston nomination form
- Rugby player, 15, suffers neck injury at Millom game
- Woman sought in Barrow shoplifting investigation
- Ulverston toilet debate continues (1 comment)
- Barrow hospital chef to appear on TV with celebrity chef James Martin
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Barrow street attacks surge sparks police alert (2 comments)
- Archbishop of York John Sentamu to visit Barrow
- Crarey blasts 'schoolboy' Barrow Raiders (1 comment)
- Edmo calls for one final push with Barrow AFC on brink of title (1 comment)
- Fleetwood fly to Barrow win:with picture gallery
- Askam edge thriller:with picture gallery
- Trophy triumph for Vickerstown (1 comment)
- Ormsgill beat Millom to reach final:with picture gallery
- Barrow AFC edge closer to title glory:with picture gallery (20 comments)
- Rochdale run riot against Barrow Raiders:with picture gallery
- Barrow cricketer smashes world record (2 comments)
- REMEMBER WHEN: The Woolveridge brothers bossed Furness RL
- Familiar call for more health service money
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (2 comments)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker