The wild GEESE
Last updated at 13:47, Wednesday, 08 September 2010
PARKS and lakes are usually associated with lazy afternoons and the quacking of friendly ducks.
But some visitors to Barrow Park say they are being made to feel unwelcome by a gaggle of “vicious” geese.
People have contacted the Evening Mail, via Facebook, to complain about the birds.
Aggi Lewis, 39, who lives in Barrow, said: “When is something going to be done about the amount of geese in the park?
“Not only do you get attacked while feeding the ducks, but the state of the pathways and the grass is disgusting and I’m pretty sure it’s a health hazard to any child playing on the grass.”
And mother-of-two Lyndsey Turner, 29, said: “I totally agree that something needs to be done, as it is not only the amount of geese, they are vicious as well.
“We were feeding the ducks the other week and one came up and bit my daughter.”
The Evening Mail visited the park to feed the birds on Monday and spoke to regular park goers about the issue.
Ken Millard, 73, said: “There are too many of them and they make a mess.
“They would make a nice Christmas dinner.”
Dick Lewis, 68, who uses a electric wheelchair, said: “The birds come right up and peck at my leg.
“They are very inquisitive but they aren’t aggressive, they don’t attack.
“They can sometimes be protective of their young, understandably, but I have never had any problems.”
The park is managed by Barrow Borough Council.
Council parks manager Bill Brown says the birds do not belong to the council but visitors should keep their distance if they become aggressive.
He said: “We have not had any reports of people being attacked.
“There is not a great deal we can do about it. They are wild animals.
“It is unusual for birds to attack people.
“But my advice would be to keep away if they become aggressive.”
First published at 13:06, Wednesday, 08 September 2010
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- "Fantastic victory" for Barrow after massive increase in train services announced
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (3 comments)
- New moto-cross team for Furness (1 comment)
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|