Teams battle to clear show-blocked Cumbria roads
Last updated at 16:10, Tuesday, 26 March 2013
EMERGENCY services continued to be kept busy yesterday as they toiled to clear snow that was blocking a number of major roads in Cumbria.
The heavy snow and strong winds that started on Friday left the A595 strewn with abandoned vehicles after drivers became stranded in snow that reached depths of 20ft in places.
North of Millom, the road remained closed throughout the weekend but police were finally able to allow motorists through just before 1pm yesterday.
A section of the A595, at Whicham Valley, was proving more time-consuming to clear but motorists were able yesterday to detour through Millom town centre.
As the roads slowly returned to normal, Chief Superintendent Don Spiller said: “I would like to say a big thank-you to all the communities who were affected by the weather this weekend.
“Although many communities are still affected by large amounts of snow today, power has now been restored and all those who were temporarily sheltering in Millom School have safely returned to their homes.”
More than 1,700 were affected by the power cuts that hit on Friday and hundreds of homes were without power until late on Sunday. Ch Supt Spiller added: “Local media were also very supportive and helped to ensure people were fully informed of the developing situation.”
First published at 16:09, Tuesday, 26 March 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- Judge overrules Ulverston supermarket decision (7 comments)
- Ulverston supermarket: Decision could be made this week (3 comments)
- Edmo 'not interested' in leaving Barrow AFC (1 comment)
- Barrow AFC boss favourite for Mansfield job (7 comments)
- Millom man arrested on suspicion of murdering girlfriend in Kenya
- Barrow dad-of-two baited dogs to attack cat and sheep (33 comments)
- Barrow woman in tears as court orders dog to be destroyed (28 comments)
- Homebase in talks with discount chain for Barrow (30 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss steps down (6 comments)
Post 16 education
Go green 36
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|