Summer boost on the cards for town centre
Published at 16:37, Monday, 11 February 2013
TOWN centre trade is to receive a double boost this year after two outdoor events were given the green light.
Barrow Borough Council’s licensing committee met on Thursday and granted permission for the first ever Foodie Fest to take place this summer.
And a European craft market will also take place in the spring, with members granting street trading consent for the event.
Foodie Fest will take place on June 8 and 9.
The event will feature top chefs, such as Jean-Christophe Novelli and Sunday Brunch’s Simon Rimmer.
A marquee will host three cooking demonstrations a day, with two chefs taking part in each session, and between 20 and 40 food stalls will line Dalton Road and Portland Walk.
Barrow town centre and festivals manager Ann Taylforth told the meeting the council was approached by Barrow Traders’ Association to back the hosting of the event in order to boost trade.
She said: “I think we have got one of the best food festival line-ups in the UK which is pretty good for Barrow.”
The European market will run from May 1-4, with gifts such as Turkish jewellery, Italian biscuits and textiles set to be sold.
Mrs Taylforth said: “The council has been approached by European Gift Events who have proposed for a continental market to be held from Wednesday May 1 until Saturday May 4. There will be 10 traders selling a variety of gifts.”
The committee welcomed both proposals, with members stating they will boost the town.
Councillor Alan Pemberton said: “I think anything that attracts people to the town centre is a good thing.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Updated: Man's body found on Barrow beach
- Rescuers come to the aid of injured woman in Lake District
- Mountain rescue team attend to fell walker with head injury in Lakes
- Bottles of spirits stolen from Ulverston Food Festival stall
- UPDATE: Missing wild camper in Cumbria found safe and well
- Dog found on Cumbria mountain returns home
- Man, 66, dies after Cumbria crash
- Food lovers line the streets for Ulverston festival
- Your guide to Kidfest in Barrow - Britain's biggest children’s music festival
- Delight for Swarthmoor singer as Misstasia make live shows of Britain's Got Talent
- Adopted Cumbrian Ben blasts fastest Test ton at Lord's
- Grand National winner plots Cartmel success
- Record prize money on offer for Cartmel in 2015
- Raiders ace Wiper desperate for return
- Added sparkle for Cartmel ladies race
- Capital result and good time for bonding
- Max Wiper desperate for Barrow Raiders return
- Walney Cents win Barton Townley Cup thriller (1 comment)
- Hambley set for Barrow Raiders debut
- England Under-17s call-up for Barrow football ace
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music
- Countdown to December
- Price tag of £800 for the perfect pint
- Golden era of the variety acts gets return to stage
- WEDDING ALBUM: Michelle Fredericks and Matthew Wilson
- Rail station mix-up brought firm to town
- Church pulls in drinkers
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Slovenia
- An invite to party like its 1945
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|