‘Stupid’ Millom drug grower sparked blaze at house
Last updated at 17:16, Friday, 08 February 2013
A CANNABIS gardener has been jailed for three years after his £25,000 plantation was uncovered after a house fire broke out.
Rian Daman Protheroe’s house in Wellington Street, Millom, which he rented under an alias after a previous eviction from the address, was transformed into a cannabis factory, before a fire caused £20,000 worth of damage to the property.
On Wednesday, Lancaster Crown Court heard how Protheroe, 26, had been a cannabis factory gardener – looking after the operation for another man, on the promise of food and accommodation.
But the plantation was unearthed on May 25 last year, after a fire broke out in the house when Protheroe attempted to fix a ceiling vent with a highly flammable sealant canister, while holding a naked flame.
Prosecutor, Mr Roger Baldwin, said police recovered 63 cannabis plants and cultivation paraphernalia, including heat lamps and fertiliser, after the fire was extinguished.
He said: “Forensic scientists described the cannabis farm as ‘fairly sophisticated but unorganised’.
“(Protheroe) entered the loft with the foam to fill the gaps around the air vents. He was carrying a candle, which lit the canister.”
Mr Baldwin said the street value of the cannabis was between £15,000 and £25,000.
Protheroe, now of Green Lane, Whixall, Whitchurch, Shropshire, was released on bail following his arrest, but was stopped a few days later by police, after the car he was driving had been reported stolen from Port Haverigg Holiday Village.
While searching the car, officers discovered a spray canister.
Defence barrister Mr Mark Shepherd said: “He was at the address for a matter of days and most of the equipment was already in situ when he arrived.
“On this occasion he has gone into the loft space and done something incredibly stupid.”
Protheroe, who pleaded guilty to arson and cannabis production, was jailed for three years.
First published at 16:36, Friday, 08 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (3 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (1 comment)
- Trident rally wraps scarf around MoD (12 comments)
- Tourism guide with South Cumbria attractions released (1 comment)
- Failings over maternity care at trust which runs FGH in Barrow ‘could have led to 30 deaths’ (2 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|