Stalwart Barrow Raiders fan killed himself
Last updated at 13:39, Friday, 18 May 2012
A STALWART Barrow Raiders supporter was found in his car after he killed himself, an inquest heard.
Mark Leech, 45, was found in the driver’s seat of the car at allotments near Schneider Road, Barrow, in December.
For years Mr Leech, who had three children and three step-children, volunteered to oversee Barrow Raiders’ website under the name of Ferret.
As well as working as Raiders’ electronic media and information manager, he had been a lifelong supporter of the team and played amateur rugby as a fullback in his youth.
Raiders held a minute’s silence before a match in January to remember Mr Leech.
At an inquest in Barrow Town Hall yesterday, Detective Sergeant Paul Yates described being called to the scene of his death about 3.40pm on December 7.
The car was parked in an area known locally as “the piggeries”, where Mr Leech kept an allotment.
DS Yates said an inspection of the scene showed no-one else had been involved in the death.
He said: “Colleagues have spoken to members of the family. There had been domestic disputes over a period of time within the family.”
Coroner for South and East Cumbria, Mr Ian Smith, said a post-mortem found no alcohol or drugs in Mr Leech’s bloodstream.
However, the carbon monoxide level in his blood had been nearly 90 per cent.
He said: “There was no alcohol in his blood stream and no drugs, there was nothing to wipe out his normal thought process, so I come to the conclusion beyond reasonable doubt that Mark Leech killed himself.”
Last month his stepson David Gent, 18, came third in a memorial demolition derby in Warton, near Carnforth, in a car Mr Leech helped him prepare for the race.
First published at 13:37, Friday, 18 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (34 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (15 comments)
- Pub giant responds to empty Walney building alert (3 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss to learn of licence fate today (4 comments)
- Meeting to determine "suitability" of Dalton zoo boss taking place today (3 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|