Barrow staff chuffed to win top railway station honours
Last updated at 09:47, Monday, 10 December 2012
THE manager of Barrow’s revamped railway station has spoken of his pride after it won a prestigious international award and claimed two other top honours.
The three-platform station, which has recently undergone a £382,500 refurbishment, won Best Medium Station at the International Station of the Year Awards last month.
The awards recognise railway stations across Europe for their appearance, customer facilities, transport links and commitment to providing great customer service.
The station, which has 12 members of staff and an annual footfall of around 600,000, was also Highly Commended in the National Rail Awards Station of the Year category 2012 in September.
In addition, it was named joint winner of the First TransPennine Express Customer Service Excellence Awards Station of the Year 2012.
Station Manager Mick Elliot said: “Barrow station has been transformed and now boasts some internationally recognised features.
“The booking hall has been completed refurbished, passenger lifts have been installed and the customer facilities have been upgraded and they are now second to none. I’m also thrilled for and very proud of my team at the station.
“They’re completely focused on the customer and come to work with a smile on their face and a can-do attitude.
“I want to thank them for their hard work and support.
“This award reflects their commitment to great customer service.’’
First published at 17:13, Friday, 07 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Great station ,shame about the trains . Can't get a seat at Ulverston most days.
Make your comment
- Kendal man sentenced to over two years for indecent images of children
- Warning from Cumbria police after thieves target cars parked in rural areas
- BBC TV shows focus their cameras on Lake District locations
- Ulverston enthusiasts hope beekeeping venture will reach sticky end
- Millom shop boss evades driving ban
- Builder used cash machine scam in Barrow after two weeks in UK
- Millom parents fighting for centre given group’s support
- Greats pay respects to Barrow born ex-Chelsea chief
- Inquest into death of Barrow woman due to open
- Evening Mail poll shows surge in support for Ukip
- Barrow AFC leading Tamworth to boost title chance
- Casson delighted with Edmo's Barrow progress
- Casson confident Barrow AFC can claim title this weekend
- Barrow Raiders aim to banish away-day blues
- Barrow Raiders look to take sting out of Rochdale Hornets
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Saturday nights with Barrow Raiders good for me
- Jones: Barrow Raiders need to beat Rochdale
- Dutch invasion at Barrow AFC
- Barrow AFC stalwart honoured (1 comment)
- Tributes to lifelong Barrow AFC fan Pete
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (1 comment)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker
- First Aid