Barrow staff chuffed to win top railway station honours
Last updated at 09:47, Monday, 10 December 2012
THE manager of Barrow’s revamped railway station has spoken of his pride after it won a prestigious international award and claimed two other top honours.
The three-platform station, which has recently undergone a £382,500 refurbishment, won Best Medium Station at the International Station of the Year Awards last month.
The awards recognise railway stations across Europe for their appearance, customer facilities, transport links and commitment to providing great customer service.
The station, which has 12 members of staff and an annual footfall of around 600,000, was also Highly Commended in the National Rail Awards Station of the Year category 2012 in September.
In addition, it was named joint winner of the First TransPennine Express Customer Service Excellence Awards Station of the Year 2012.
Station Manager Mick Elliot said: “Barrow station has been transformed and now boasts some internationally recognised features.
“The booking hall has been completed refurbished, passenger lifts have been installed and the customer facilities have been upgraded and they are now second to none. I’m also thrilled for and very proud of my team at the station.
“They’re completely focused on the customer and come to work with a smile on their face and a can-do attitude.
“I want to thank them for their hard work and support.
“This award reflects their commitment to great customer service.’’
First published at 17:13, Friday, 07 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Great station ,shame about the trains . Can't get a seat at Ulverston most days.
Make your comment
- South Cumbria girl gets first in line for thrills on dream holiday of a lifetime
- WITH VIDEOS: Crowds lap up Barrow music festival fun in the sun
- Man's body found on Barrow beach - next of kin of missing Manchester man informed
- See the action on TV
- Talented Barrow athlete in running to train with Olympic star
- Man cheats death in Walney Channel rescue
- Drunk man threatens Barrow shop staff
- Trust which runs Barrow hospital beats infection-free record
- Fears over ‘disgraceful’ cuts to Millom teenage support services
- Couple embroiled in row over Barrow train station disabled parking fine
- Walney beat Millom in Barton Townley Cup thriller
- Magic Maj takes all 10 wickets for Ulverston CC
- Bushby buzzing after winning golf's Evening Mail Open
- McKinley's delight after his golden moment for Walney Cents
- Barrow CC attack destroy Netherfield
- Record prize money on offer for Cartmel in 2015
- Grand National winner plots Cartmel success
- Adopted Cumbrian Ben blasts fastest Test ton at Lord's
- Raiders ace Wiper desperate for return
- Added sparkle for Cartmel ladies race
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- Sub-aqua delivery on stamp anniversary
- WEDDING ALBUM: Michelle Fredericks and Matthew Wilson
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music
- Countdown to December
- Price tag of £800 for the perfect pint
- Golden era of the variety acts gets return to stage
- Rail station mix-up brought firm to town
- Church pulls in drinkers
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Slovenia