Spate of break-ins leaves Barrow allotment holders baffled
Last updated at 17:02, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
ALLOTMENT holders have been left puzzled after 23 sheds were broken into – but barely anything was stolen.
The sheds had their locks damaged during the break-ins at the St Andrew’s Crossing allotments, on Barrow Island, overnight on Saturday into Sunday.
Although some items were stolen, most of the allotment-holders’ property was left behind.
Raymond Carter, 66 – who grows vegetables and keeps poultry at his allotment – was one of those affected.
He said although many of the sheds had been jemmied open, only a few had items taken from them.
“I had air rifles in mine and they never touched them,” he said.
However, a drill and a bicycle were among the items stolen from other allotments and sheds on the site.
Mr Carter believes whoever was responsible must have been disturbed in the act.
Although much of the site is surrounded by high fencing, it does not completely surround its eastern edge, said Mr Carter, of Wyre Green, Walney.
“They must have been looking for something specific, maybe electrical gear or something,” he said.
“That’s what I can’t understand, when you get lads breaking into allotments, generally they will kill chickens and things like that, but there was nothing.
“We can’t understand why they opened all the doors of a lot of them (the sheds) and left about five, we can’t weigh it up, maybe they were disturbed or something.”
Mr Carter said one allotment holder had found items piled on the floor of his shed, as though they had been placed there ready to be stolen but were not taken.
He said police and crimescene investigators had been at the site on Sunday and dusted for finger prints.
Police are asking nearby allotment holders to check if they have been victims of theft.
They have warned them to make sure their sheds and allotments are secure.
Anyone with any information, or who has been a victim of theft, is asked to call Barrow police on 101.
First published at 16:44, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Number of recorded rapes up by more than half in Cumbria
- Big swing would be required for red seat to change colour
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Police scour CCTV footage in bid to find Barrow assault suspect
- Barrow man smashed girlfriend’s car while fleeing police
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria (1 comment)
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes (2 comments)
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue (3 comments)
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|