South Cumbria businesses vie for advertising prize
Last updated at 17:52, Thursday, 13 December 2012
AFTER weeks of waiting some of Cumbria’s brightest young businesses stepped before an expert panel in a bid to bag an advertising campaign worth thousands of pounds.
Judging for the Local Business Accelerators (LBA) competition took place in the Evening Mail offices in Abbey Road, Barrow, yesterday.
A list of 10 finalists was reduced to six business owners who made their case as to why they should pick up expert business advice and a £13,000 advertising campaign.
The LBA scheme, sponsored by the University of Cumbria and Armstrong Watson, aims to help promote new businesses.
The judging panel was made up of the three mentors – CN Businessman of the Year and Wax Lyrical managing director Mike Armstead; Martin Cutbill, director of sales and marketing at Furness Building Society; and Paul Graham, general manager of Abbey House Hotel – along with Richard Andrew of Armstrong Watson and Sarah Stables, enterprise manager at the University of Cumbria.
Everything from dog grooming and obedience to wedding supplies and breweries was represented.
Millom’s Hardknott Brewery spoke about its vision for his brand while Cartmel-based Harmony Beauty spoke about its unique air make-up technique.
Happy Houndz, Coulson Associates, The Wedding Room and innovative chemical firm Lumibio also impressed the judges.
Judges were impressed by a high standard of entries and praised the hard work of all the participants.
Mr Armstead added: “For a second year running there has been a very high calibre of entries and I would like to congratulate the finalists for getting making the final 10.
“I’m delighted to have been involved in the process and delighted to be putting something back into the Furness business community.”
The three winners will be announced in the Evening Mail on February 6.
First published at 16:17, Thursday, 13 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together