Snow results in chaos on Cumbria roads
Published at 16:10, Thursday, 14 February 2013
SNOW caused chaos on the roads of Cumbria.
Several main roads were blocked temporarily as snow and ice made them unsafe for motorists yesterday.
The Highways Agency was kept busy clearing the A590, as three gritters spent the day patrolling the route. Some people criticised the time it took to clear the road of snow and ice, but the agency said it had dedicated resources to the road.
A spokesman said: “They went out at 3am to grit all the Highways Agency’s roads in Cumbria.
“From 6am, there were three gritters solely on the A590, gritting when necessary.”
Furness Academy was forced to cancel an art revision session, and Ambleside Brownies had to call off a trip to Morecambe.
The Bay Search and Rescue announced on Twitter that it had taken the precaution of stationing a Land Rover in Grange, ready to assist emergency services if required.
However, for some, the weather provided an extra opportunity to have some fun.
Children armed with sledges played in the snow.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow AFC boost title bid with comfortable win (6 comments)
- Barrow Raiders send Keighley packing (1 comment)
- Two climbers suffer serious falls in Lake District (2 comments)
- Woman stole handbag while owner danced in Barrow pub (4 comments)
- Care firm boss sets out stall for new Cumbria recruits (1 comment)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|