Six bidders identified for windfarm off Barrow coast
Last updated at 14:19, Friday, 22 February 2013
SIX bidders have qualified to compete for a £311m contract to build the West of Duddon Sands offshore windfarm.
The £50m farm, which is a joint venture between ScottishPower Renewables and DONG Energy, will be situated 14km off the coast of Walney Island in the East Irish Sea and close to the Ormonde and Walney Offshore sites.
West of Duddon Sands is expected to house 108 turbines and generate renewable energy for more than 300,000 UK households.
Bidders will compete for the high-voltage transmission link to the windfarm, which the winner will operate for the next 20 years.
Ofgem E-Serve said the qualifying bidders included: Balfour Beatty Equitix Consortium, Blue Transmission, John Laing Investments, National Grid Offshore, Skanska and Transmission Capital Partners.
This second transitional tender round has £1.4bn of transmission assets being tendered, following the first bidding process for £1.1bn of transmission links, which brought in nearly £4bn of investment.
Ofgem E-Serve’s managing director, Robert Hull, said: ”The strong interest in competing for the West of Duddon Sands transmission assets is further proof that the offshore regime is successfully encouraging investment, attracting new players and ensuring competition in the offshore transmission sector.”
The next tender round is expected to open later this year.
First published at 14:14, Friday, 22 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Fans of Swarthmoor singer await Britain's Got Talent decision
- The ultimate guide to Kidfest in Barrow
- Police appeal after woman assaulted in Barrow
- Your guide to Kidfest in Barrow - Britain's biggest children’s music festival
- Ulverston Food Festival set to showcase the best of Cumbria cuisine
- Search for owners of dog found on top of Lake District fell
- Millom double death inquest concludes
- Witnesses sought after Millom tyre slashing incident
- Charity collection box stolen from South Cumbria garden centre
- Call for legal high crackdown after teens taken ill (2 comments)
- Walney Cents win Barton Townley Cup thriller
- Hambley set for Barrow Raiders debut
- England Under-17s call-up for Barrow football ace
- Barrow look to bank points bonus
- Run kings Lindal look to kick on
- Millom and Walney set for cup final classic
- Excitement builds as Scholes heads to Barrow
- Millom RL ace at the double for GB
- Privilege to lead Millom says Sibley
- Penalty shootout success for Walney over Holker: with picture gallery
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music
- Countdown to December
- Rail station mix-up brought firm to town
- Church pulls in drinkers
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Slovenia
- An invite to party like its 1945
- Millom teenager steps out in style with charity shop bargains
- Proud to fight your corner (1 comment)
- Take a bus trip back to the past
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|