Silkmen claim player was racially abused by Bluebirds man
Last updated at 16:59, Wednesday, 02 January 2013
AN unnamed Barrow AFC player has been accused of racism after Saturday’s heated FA Cup clash.
Macclesfield Town have alleged their right back Ryan Jackson was the target of racist abuse from a Bluebirds player following the second round FA Cup replay, which the Silkmen won 4-1.
Macclesfield chief executive John Harris said yesterday morning that the alleged incident had been reported to police and the referee, Phil Gibbs.
Mr Harris said: “We are very disappointed that this has overshadowed an excellent performance on the pitch, but we remain staunchly opposed to all forms of racism, which we believe has no place in football, or indeed anywhere.” However, yesterday afternoon, Barrow AFC secretary/director Russell Dodd said police were not investigating the incident, which was alleged to have happened in the tunnel after the match, and the club were awaiting the referee’s report.
He said: “We were told by Macclesfield police yesterday that there wouldn’t be any police action taken. But the referee has said he had a couple of areas of concern that would be included in his report.
“Once the FA sends through what has been alleged on paper then obviously we will look at it and investigate any action which is deemed appropriate, depending on the result of what the FA has to say.”
In the initial fixture at Holker Street earlier this month, Silkmen captain Nat Brown alleged that he had been racially abused by a fan at Holker Street. An investigation by police and the FA into that matter is continuing.
Saturday’s match was a heated affair, with a group of Macclesfield fans displaying an English Defence League banner and aiming offensive chants throughout the match towards the travelling supporters.
Police officers and stewards twice had to intervene when home supporters clashed amongst themselves during the match.
First published at 16:08, Monday, 31 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (32 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (15 comments)
- ‘Deadly’ pigeon droppings force Millom council closure (1 comment)
- Ulverston housing scheme ‘last chance to keep park going’ (2 comments)
- Pub giant responds to empty Walney building alert (1 comment)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|