Show will go ahead with ‘dogged determination’
Last updated at 16:36, Monday, 30 July 2012
DESPITE the threat of rain, the Cartmel Show will go ahead tomorrow.
Waterlogged ground has led to some changes to the schedule but organisers are determined to not let the weather ruin their plans.
They insist this year’s show will be as good as ever – and have asked the public to bear with them.
Interest in the 140-year-old event, which takes place at Cartmel Racecourse, is on the rise with more sheep entries and stall applications than ever before.
Show secretary, Linda Clarkson, said: “Obviously we have been a little bit hampered by the weather, as have all the shows in the area.
“That has affected some of the plans but the show is going ahead as planned.
“But because of the weather some changes will be made this year and we ask people to bear with us.”
Due to the wet ground, there will be no grandstand, ringside parking or showjumping event this year.
Mrs Clarkson, of Carnforth, said: “It is just too wet – but there will still be seating.
“And there will be a huge amount of craft and food and other retail outlets on the showfield. There will be a falconry display, heavy horses and loads of entertainment – all that is going ahead as planned.”
She added that the efforts of everyone involved to ensure the event goes ahead was a prime example of English dogged determination to pull together in times of adversity.
“Cartmel is very popular,” she said. “We don’t want to let down the supporters.
“The only thing that is not in our power is the weather.”
Mrs Clarkson said that any cancelled events would be replaced.
She said: “We have got a packed day right the way through.
“The committee and helpers will do everything we possibly can to make it an enjoyable day and all we ask is that the public cooperate with us as some compromises will have to be made.”
Last year’s event was the biggest in the show’s history, drawing record crowds.
First published at 16:11, Monday, 30 July 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- Judge overrules Ulverston supermarket decision (7 comments)
- Ulverston supermarket: Decision could be made this week (3 comments)
- Edmo 'not interested' in leaving Barrow AFC (1 comment)
- Barrow AFC boss favourite for Mansfield job (7 comments)
- Millom man arrested on suspicion of murdering girlfriend in Kenya
- Barrow dad-of-two baited dogs to attack cat and sheep (33 comments)
- Barrow woman in tears as court orders dog to be destroyed (28 comments)
- Homebase in talks with discount chain for Barrow (30 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss steps down (6 comments)
Post 16 education
Go green 36
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|