Shoplifting shame of former soldier from Barrow
Last updated at 17:16, Friday, 10 January 2014
AN EX-SOLDIER from Barrow who served in Iraq has blamed post-traumatic stress disorder for his shoplifting habit.
Keith Moyse, 46, stole expensive electrical equipment with no intention of using or selling it, a court heard, keeping the items in their original packaging and frequently stealing two of the same product.
Appearing at Furness Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, Moyse pleaded guilty to theft from a shop and the handling of stolen goods.
Moyse, of Meeings View, Barrow, admitted stealing £2,000 worth of electrical equipment from Tesco Extra, in Hindpool Road, including televisions and toasters.
It was CCTV footage that eventually led to Moyse’s arrest, with police using the cameras to follow him to his car and track his address with his registration plates.
Defending Moyse, Mr Trystan Roberts argued the complexities of of Moyse’s case, stressing that mental health problems stemming from post traumatic stress disorder from his time serving in Iraq were the cause of his actions.
The recent death of his mother was also said to have had a negative impact on Moyse’s mental health.
Mrs Lisa Hine, prosecuting, said: “Moyse stole for no apparent reason.
“He has said himself that it ‘doesn’t give him a buzz’.”
District judge Gerald Chalk described the case as ‘very unusual’.
He said: “This is a very unusual case of shoplifting as you seemingly had no intent to use or sell what you stole, and made no attempt to hide anything.”
The judge said that he would need more time to fully understand Moyse’s mental health state before making a decision on the matter.
He did, however, warn Moyse not to go into Tesco and attempt to steal anything ahead of sentence.
Everything stolen by Moyse was suitable for resale, and returned to Tesco.
The case was adjourned until January 14 for sentence.
First published at 16:54, Friday, 10 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Heart of Ulverston nomination form
- Rugby player, 15, suffers neck injury at Millom game
- Woman sought in Barrow shoplifting investigation
- Ulverston toilet debate continues
- Barrow hospital chef to appear on TV with celebrity chef James Martin
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Barrow street attacks surge sparks police alert (2 comments)
- Archbishop of York John Sentamu to visit Barrow
- Dinghy and boat trailer stolen from Ambleside
- Labour by-election victory gives party new confidence
- Crarey blasts 'schoolboy' Barrow Raiders (1 comment)
- Edmo calls for one final push with Barrow AFC on brink of title
- Fleetwood fly to Barrow win:with picture gallery
- Askam edge thriller:with picture gallery
- Trophy triumph for Vickerstown (1 comment)
- Ormsgill beat Millom to reach final:with picture gallery
- Barrow AFC edge closer to title glory:with picture gallery (20 comments)
- Rochdale run riot against Barrow Raiders:with picture gallery
- Barrow cricketer smashes world record (2 comments)
- REMEMBER WHEN: The Woolveridge brothers bossed Furness RL
- Familiar call for more health service money
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (2 comments)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker