Shoplifting haul found in Barrow veteran’s loft
Published at 16:17, Wednesday, 15 January 2014
AN air force veteran with mental health issues has been given a community order after stealing hundreds of pounds worth of electrical goods.
Keith Moyse pleaded guilty to theft from Tesco on October 24 and handling stolen goods in Furness Magistrates’ court on January 7 and was sentenced to 60 hours of unpaid work yesterday.
The court heard how father-of-two Moyse, 46, had served with the RAF in the Gulf region and had been left with anxiety and depression and the compulsion to steal.
Mrs Lisa Hine, prosecuting, said Moyse has been caught on camera on October 24 loading a trolley in Tesco’s Hindpool Road store with £606.56 worth of electrical goods including toasters, sandwich makers, kettles and DVD players before he walked out.
He was seen loading the items into his car and police were called.
On October 26 police arrested Moyse at home and found a hoard of stolen goods in the loft, many unopened and often doubled up.
Among the haul were goods valued at £1,200 recovered from Debenhams, £1,200 from Tesco and £146 from Asda. Paints from Wilkinson worth £23.95 were not recovered.
Mr Trystan Roberts, defending, said the death of Moyse’s mother was a contributing factor to his unusual behaviour.
He said: “He can’t explain what’s happened. It may be he likes an element of control, it may be any number of other reasons.
“He was an active serviceman in the RAF and saw action in the Gulf
“He has sought help from the British Legion and his GP.
“Sometimes these things take time to come to the surface.”
Mrs Catherine Alexander, presiding magistrate, ordered Moyse, of Meetings View, Barrow, to carry out 60 hours unpaid work.
He was ordered to pay £85 costs, a £60 victim surcharge and £23.95 compensation to Wilkinson’s.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|