X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Thursday, 31 July 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Barrow gas blast scene is still closed off after seven months

A DATE has still not been set for the re-opening of a Barrow gas explosion scene which has been closed for more than half a year.

50050037B001.jpg
torn apart Emergency services investigating at the scene of the gas explosion on June 26 at the home on the junction of Ainslie Street and Oxford Street in Barrow JON GRANGER REF: 50050037B001

The home of 93-year-old Anne Hall, at the junction of Ainslie Street and Oxford Street in Barrow, was ripped apart by a major blast on June 26.

The junction has since been closed, meaning buses have been re-directed via Bedford Street. Lancaster Street has also experienced more traffic.

A spokesman for Cumbria County Council said there was still no time-scale for when the junction would be re-opened.

It was initially thought the work would take six months.

But the spokesman said the council was still awaiting an update from the company undertaking the work as to when it would be finished. Yesterday, work on the house appeared some way from completion.

Connor Stagg, 23, of Lancaster Street, said: “It’s going to be up for ages.

“They said at the time it would be six months and I thought it would be well done by now. But it’s looking like it could be another six months.

“I work at the Co-op in Ainslie Street and you get people coming in moaning about it all the time.”

Carole Pidduck, 71, of Ainslie Street, lives in the house directly opposite the explosion scene.

She has double reason to be frustrated because a section of Rutland Street, to the back of her home, has been closed off since part of a gable end of a home on the corner of Westmorland Street fell down last month.

But she was philosophical about it. Mrs Pidduck said: “I’ve got used to it now, to be honest. It doesn’t bother me that much, it’s just that it’s an eyesore – especially when I’ve got it at the back and front now.”

Amy Robertson, 26, who was at her parents’ home in Oxford Street yesterday, said: “When I get the bus, it has to travel right round so it’s a bit of an inconvenience for buses.

“That’s the main issue. If I get a taxi to Asda, they have to go round as well. It’s just an inconvenience – I just feel sorry for the lady who’s not been able to move back into her house.”

The kitchen of the house was demolished in the blast last year, but Mrs Hall was uninjured.

Have your say

Only in Broken Barrow The Town That Time Forgot can this happen.A total and utter disgrace.There is No and I mean No excuse.

Posted by Salthouse Boy on 22 January 2014 at 07:21

ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS

Posted by john on 22 January 2014 at 06:57

View all 3 comments on this article

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


SHARE THIS ARTICLE

North West Evening Mail What's on search










Powered by
nwemail.co.uk/jobs

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk






Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:

Vote

Should more affordable housing be built to help young people get onto the property ladder?

Yes

No

Show Result


Go green 33

Going digital

Homes and gardens

Ulverston Carnival


To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out