Schoolboy charged in connection with alleged Barrow arson
Last updated at 08:46, Friday, 21 February 2014
A SCHOOLBOY has been charged with arson following a massive fire at a former tyre Barrow store.
The 14-year-old boy, from Barrow, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is alleged to have started the blaze at Hi-Q Tyres, in Roose Road, Barrow on November 16.
Police have charged the boy who will appear in youth court later this month.
More than 20 firefighters from South Cumbria were called to battle the blaze which saw two fire crews from Barrow joined by crews from Grange and Ulverston, along with an aerial ladder platform from Barrow.
The road was closed by police for around three hours as the crews fought to control the blaze at the derelict site.
The fire was brought under control by around 8.30pm but firefighters remained at the scene to dampen down hotspots where there were gas canisters.
Following the incident, a Fire Brigades Union official said there was a 50-minute delay between the Barrow crews arriving at the scene and requesting two more engines and the crews from Grange and Ulverston arriving.
Police originally arrested four teenagers aged 13, 14 and 15, on suspicion of arson on November 16 and a second 14-year-old was arrested on November 17; however only one 14-year-old has been charged as a result of the investigation.
The 14-year-old is due to appear before Furness Youth Court on February 28.
First published at 08:39, Friday, 21 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- Owners to sell Lake District pub after tragic death of mum
- Pub chain told: 'Stay away' (35 comments)
- Minister may be asked to decide Cocken tunnel row (6 comments)
- Man charged with Barrow shop robbery in court today
- Teen jailed for trying to gas Cumbrian lover after gay sex session
- Sex offender who went on £50 booze binge is jailed after admitting to 'very serious'problem
- Cumbria school nurse to face hearing
- £1,500 fine for store Barrow Morrisons boss
- Dad assaulted his wife as child slept in same room
- Brazen burglar robbed Windermere house in broad daylight
Go green 36
The Barber's Shop
Choosing a primary school
Kendall Brothers Ltd
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|