Rugmaking and pottery
Published at 11:57, Wednesday, 29 April 2009
MILLOM AND DISTRICT FLOWER CLUB: There was a good turnout of members at the recent meeting of Millom and District Flower Club.
Mary Cunningham, chairman, introduced Carol Grieves from Brampton with her demonstration crafts and flowers.
She started by linking a design to the craft of rug making, and gave an interesting account of “proddie” or “hookie” rugs which were once produced in her area.
The craft of pottery was next and she used a vase produced at the Pennine Pottery for her second arrangement.
Iron mongery, basket making and candle making were also included in her demonstration.
Gillian George thanked Carol on behalf of the club.
Winners of the arrangements were Monica Blezzard, Wai King Jeffcoat, Diane Sherburn, Annette Rogan, Sue Mellen, Di Munton and Dorothy McMeekin.
Names were taken for the summer outing to Houghton Hall garden centre at Carlisle, followed by a garden visit, flower demonstration and afternoon tea at the home of John Dalton at Scalesby.
Members then enjoyed tea, home baking and a chat courtesy of Alice Fitzwilliam, Joan Jones, Julie Coldwell and June Bickerdike.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Vickerstown FC pay tribute to 'Fozzy' and 'Jonno' (1 comment)
- Action group formed to fight Barrow road being closed to vehicles (16 comments)
- Independent chairwoman to oversee improvements at Barrow hospital trust
- UPDATE: Warning to Cumbria motorists travelling south - tailbacks on M6 (2 comments)
- Slices of Barrow social history go under hammer at auction (2 comments)
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|