Rugby player from Dalton swung punch at female officer
Published at 13:34, Thursday, 19 June 2014
A RUGBY league player has been fined after drunkenly swinging a punch at a female police officer.
Jack Moses pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer when he appeared in Furness Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.
The court was told Moses, 19, who previously played for Salford City Reds Under-18s academy, had been drinking in Barrow on June 1 when a fight broke out outside the Hot Potato Cumbria, in Cavendish Street at around 2.40am.
Moses was outside Manhattans nightclub when he spotted the altercation, which involved his sister, who is a special constable.
Mrs Lisa Hine, prosecuting, said: “People in the group appeared to be trying to stop the defendant getting to the male.
“An officer started walking towards the defendant but the defendant appeared to be trying to go through the officer instead of going around.
“PC Kershaw tried to grab the defendant’s arm and he attempted to punch her in the face but he somehow missed, he then struck her hand and tried to run off.
“He was very drunk at the time but he was more concerned for his sister who is a special constable.”
The court heard PC Kershaw drew her pava spray before door staff came to her aid.
She was later treated for soft tissue damage and a sprained thumb.
Mr Andrew Gibson, defending, told the court: “The incident took place at about 2.40pm but at about 4.15am he returned to the scene and approached the officer and he was arrested.
“He was going back to the police station to hand himself in but he came across the officer en route.
“He’s certainly extremely embarrassed by what they told him.
“In interview he apologised profusely to the officer.”
Mrs Lynn Slavin, presiding magistrate, fined Moses, of Fair View, Dalton, £140 and ordered him to pay £100 compensation to PC Kershaw.
He was ordered to pay £85 court costs and a £20 victim surcharge.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow AFC boost title bid with comfortable win (6 comments)
- Barrow Raiders send Keighley packing (1 comment)
- Two climbers suffer serious falls in Lake District (2 comments)
- Woman stole handbag while owner danced in Barrow pub (4 comments)
- Care firm boss sets out stall for new Cumbria recruits (1 comment)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|