Rising from ashes at Dowdales
Last updated at 16:08, Thursday, 03 May 2012
DOWDALES School students were licking their lips yesterday at the prospect of putting their culinary skills to the test in the school’s new state-of-the-art kitchen facilities.
The Dalton school’s Year Seven pupils have returned to the classrooms that were badly damaged in a blaze last September.
The fire, which started in a tumble dryer, caused about £200,000 damage to the school’s food technology, textiles and information technology rooms.
All 1,067 students had to be evacuated to the school’s playing field.
It took a team of 30 firefighters to bring the blaze under control. Dowdales headteacher Julie O’Connor said it was “absolutely brilliant to be back” in the refurbished classrooms.
“We had very good facilities before but certainly now we’ve got 21st century, state-of-the-art facilities that will take teaching and learning on to even a higher level at Dowdales,” she said.
“We’ve come through what was a difficult experience very well. We had temporary classrooms in place very quickly so students’ learning wasn’t disrupted.
“Over the last six months since then it’s been a real team effort and everyone in the community has been hugely supportive.”
Year 7E student Josh Braithwaite, 11, summed up the feelings of staff and students when asked what he thought of the new food technology room.
He said: “It’s awesome. I really enjoy being in here rather than having to be in the (temporary) cabins (set up after the fire).”
Barrow fire station watch manager Paul Milburn was one of the first on the scene last year when the fire broke out, and said it was a credit to Dowdales how well it handled the crisis. He said: “The school evacuated very efficiently – it was textbook, really. They all left their bags, as they should, and assembled quickly at the muster point for roll call.”
First published at 13:50, Thursday, 03 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Barrow sports club’s future secured by a new long-term lease
- Askam dad killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court today for sentencing
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|