Reports of sex crimes in Cumbria rising due to Savile
Published at 08:46, Tuesday, 01 July 2014
THE legacy of Jimmy Savile’s sex crimes has led to an increase in people reporting sex attacks in Cumbria.
Figures which will go before Cumbria’s top police officers, and Richard Rhodes – Cumbria’s police and crime commissioner – reveal an increase not only in the number of sexual offences reported to police but also an increase in the number of historic sex offences.
In the past 12 months the number of rapes reported has increased from 97 to 131 offences while the number of other sexual offences has also risen from 260 to 320 offences.
Historic sex offences reported to police have also increased with the number of cases reported last year standing at 51, compared to 37 in the past year.
The report says: “Records show that there has been an increase in the number of historic rape cases reported over the last 12 months compared to the previous period (rising from 37 to 51 cases). These historic cases make up a greater proportion of the total number of offences recorded.
“The number of reported rape cases has also been on an upward trend since October 2012, which is when Operation Yewtree was instigated.”
Operation Yewtree has been an historic investigation into a number of high-profile celebrities after dozens of allegations against the late Mr Savile emerged in 2012.
Elsewhere crime has fallen with fewer reported thefts; figures have fallen from 9,785 to 9,534. Criminal damage has also fallen with 5,076 cases compared to 5,276 last year.
The dramatic increase in the number of sexual offences being reported has been heralded as a positive measure.
The report said: “The constabulary has also seen an increase in the number of victims coming forward to report offences of sexual violence, hate crime and domestic abuse. It is recognised nationally that these types of offences are significantly under-reported.
“The constabulary and police and crime commissioner are taking positive steps, along with partner agencies, to encourage more victims to come forward and not to suffer in silence.”
The figures will be discussed at the next meeting of the Cumbria police and crime commissioner’s executive panel.
The meeting takes place in Carleton Hall, Penrith, tomorrow from 10am.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- Second day of Ulverston supermarket legal hearing underway (14 comments)
- Drunken man’s rescue in Barrow cost emergency services £18k
- Holker Street bar name vote options revealed (9 comments)
- Barrow family’s joy as boy back home after five-month hospital stay
- Casson apologises for Barrow AFC cup exit (4 comments)
World's biggest coffee morning 2014
WCF pet and equestrian
Choosing a pre school
Come and join us 5
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|