Recent blazes raise concern over loss of second Barrow fire engine
Last updated at 16:10, Tuesday, 10 June 2014
A FIRE chief has raised fresh concern about the upcoming loss of Barrow’s second fire engine, following serious blazes over the weekend which required both appliances to be called out.
Councillor Tony Callister, a Fire Brigades Union representative, believes the public could be at risk when one of the two full-time crewed engines in Barrow is moved to Ulverston later this month.
The divisive decision, along with the closure of Dalton Fire Station, was made earlier this year in a cost-cutting move by Cumbria County Council.
The fresh fears come as firefighters had one of their busiest weekends of the year so far, with both Barrow appliances being sent to a wheelie bin fire that spread to a house in Gleaston Avenue, Barrow, a porch roof fire at a fish and chip shop in Dalton, and a major blaze at the Queen’s Head Hotel in Troutbeck.
Mr Callister said dealing with this weekend’s incidents may have been delayed if the cuts were already in place, as crews would have needed to wait for back-up from Ulverston to arrive.
He said: “Appliances are getting pulled from all over Cumbria and with the downgrading of Barrow and Dalton, it does have an impact on having enough cover. It would leave the area at risk.
“In emergencies like these we would need to draw from all over the county. There will be a delay in appliances turning up to support.
“There is a realistic chance if it’s first reported that people are in need of rescue that there would be that delay with the second appliance.
“The officer would not commit any fire officers into that property as they would need support themselves.”
A resilience fire engine for major incidents, such as terror threats or nuclear incidents, will be located in Barrow instead.
First published at 15:49, Tuesday, 10 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Crash between driver, 84, and motorcyclist in Lindal causes delays
- Barrow pub boss assaulted in stag night bar brawl
- Cumbria rail services back to normal after person struck by train
- Immigration officers arrest three men in raid on Chinese restaurant in Barrow
- Appeal after criminal damage at Barrow family centre
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|