Rebuilding work at Barrow gas blast house takes shape
Last updated at 17:24, Monday, 17 February 2014
A HOUSE that blew up after a gas leak in June last year is being rebuilt.
The property in Ainslie Street, Barrow, was damaged by a gas explosion on June 26, last year.
Resident Anne Hall, 93, was lucky to escape with only minor injuries.
More than seven months after the incident, building work and maintenance is still ongoing.
The junction between Ainslie Street and Oxford Street remains cordoned off and the house itself is still surrounded by scaffolding.
A spokesman for Barrow Borough Council’s building control department said: “There is some remedial work going on at the site of the house in Ainslie Street.
“I’m uncertain of the specific details of the work but they are rebuilding the property.”
Plans for the building’s future are becoming clear.
Environmental communications manager for Cumbria County Council, Jim Smith said: “We’re hoping to see the road clear by early March.
“We’re waiting for the scaffolding to come down, after which there’ll still be a bit of work to do on the building, but we’re looking at early March to remove the road block.
“Everything should go ahead so long as we don’t continue to have storms like we’ve had recently.”
Buses have been redirected via Bedford Street. Lancaster Street has also experienced more traffic.
Some neighbours have complained about the house’s current appearance.
Carole Pidduck, 71, lives opposite. She said: “It’s an eyesore – especially when I’ve got it at the back and front now.”
Manager of the site Shaun Kelly, from Hawthorn Estates in Tarleton, Lancashire, declined to comment.
First published at 16:53, Monday, 17 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
That's great news- perhaps then the council could look at Harrogate street. There's an awful lot of wear and tear on the road from the excessive amount of vehicles that have used it. The pavements are near on ruined and a hole is developing on the hill.