Public will get chance to choose Cumbria health board members
Last updated at 16:40, Monday, 02 June 2014
HEALTH bosses in Furness are looking for two members of the public to look them in eye and hold them to account.
NHS Cumbria Clinical Commissioning Group, in charge of deciding which health services will be provided in the county, are recruiting “lay representatives” to take up voluntary roles on the board of each locality.
The scheme comes on the back of a national drive to recruit lay representatives to increase transparency and engagement within the community.
But in an unprecedented move, the Furness Locality is hoping for the public to elect its own preferred candidates, rather than having them appointed by the board.
Deputy lead GP for Furness, Dr Arabella Onslow, said: “We really want to have people who are representative of the community, and we would like them to have some sort of mandate from the public,” she said.
Dr Onslow said interested parties would ideally have no background in medicine, and the board hoped electing two members, rather than the one recommended nationally, would prevent them from “joining the club.”
She said: “You can do things a certain way because that’s the way you have always done it. We want people with a different perspective to look at what we do and say ‘why are you doing it like this?’.”
The details of how the election would take place have not been decided but ideas from the public are welcomed.
The lay representatives would be expected to fully participate in the local executive monthly meetings.
The ideal candidate would be “fair-minded” and “articulate”, said Dr Onslow.
She said the next listening event, a meeting where the public can come face to face with senior clinicians and GPs, could be an opportunity for interested parties to tell the public why they should be elected.
The event will take place at The Forum in Duke Street, Barrow, from 6pm to 7.30pm on Thursday June 26. For more information about the role email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01768 245437.
First published at 16:38, Monday, 02 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Barrow MP among 19 to have had parliamentary credit card suspended
- UPDATE: Four arrested in Windermere murder investigation
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- Man stabbed in leg during Cumbria assault
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- A590 path repair project announced (1 comment)
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Barrow Raiders hoping to roar in Lion's den
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success (1 comment)
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan (1 comment)
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow football fan banned after shouting abuse (1 comment)
- Cumbria rail provider: Hamster, false teeth and Barry Manilow CD among lost items (1 comment)
- Barrovian's World Cup brace helps England smash Japan
- 'Unacceptable' 100-mile round journeys for Barrow disability assessments (1 comment)
- Enjoy the sun: Best beaches in south Cumbria (1 comment)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|