Proud Ulverston grandparents care for girl while soldier mum serves in Afghanistan
Last updated at 15:40, Friday, 31 May 2013
THE family of a single mother serving as a medic in Afghanistan have spoken of their pride.
Sergeant Jennifer Gray, a former Walney School pupil, is eight weeks into a seven-month tour of the war-torn country – her first since her daughter Madison was born.
The soldier’s father and stepmother, who are looking after Madison at their home in Ulverston, say it is a constant worry knowing Jennifer is in such a dangerous part of the world, but they are immensely proud of the job she does.
Chris and Hayley Gray, of Church Fields Avenue, said Madison misses her mother but they are enjoying spending time with the two-year-old, who was a flower girl when the couple got married in August.
Mrs Gray said: “Madison was quite upset at the point they said goodbye. Seven months is a long time – they are missing each other a lot.”
But the family communicate using FaceTime, a video messaging service, every other day where possible.
Mrs Gray added: “They enjoy the FaceTime.”
The family also send regular care parcels out to Afghanistan. They have included photographs, pictures Madison has drawn and, on one occasion, a T-shirt the two-year-old painted for her mother.
Mr Gray said: “We are all proud of her and worry about her. You try not to think too much about it – you don’t know what they are going through.”
Sgt Gray, 26, has served in the army for 10 years and has spent time in Iraq, Germany and the Falklands.
The family said an emotional goodbye when the medic, based in Catterick, North Yorkshire, left for Afghanistan on Easter weekend.
The soldier, whose mother lives in Barrow, will return to the UK for two weeks at the end of July before heading back out until mid-October.
Madison sees her father, who is also in the Armed Forces, on alternate weekends but Mrs Gray says she is too young to fully understand what her parents do.
She said: “She knows her mum is being very brave at work. We are really proud of her and Madison will be when she is old enough to understand it.”
First published at 16:27, Thursday, 30 May 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- X Factor star surprises young Barrow fans (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|