Police may be called in over vote claims
Published at 13:07, Sunday, 10 February 2013
POLICE action might be considered over claims that councillors were intimidated into voting against the search for an underground nuclear repository in Cumbria.
After last week’s ‘no’ vote in taking the Managing Radioactive Waste Safely process to stage four, Energy Minister Baroness Verma said she would look ‘very carefully’ at the allegations.
Speaking in the House of Commons, Lord Jenkin of Roding brought the allegations to Baroness Verma’s attention.
He said: “I am very worried about how the Cumbria County Councillors were persuaded to vote against moving to the next stage of a nuclear waste consultation.”
He went on to read from an email he said was inadvertently sent to a Copeland councillor by an anti-nuclear campaigner, which explains a plan to ‘scare the crap’ out of the councillors before their vote. The Evening Mail has also obtained a copy of the email, in which a man named states: “The Cumbria Councillors have probably been told that a ‘yes’ vote is perfectly fine and safe and legal.
“I would like us to open any message to them with the threat that they might be personally liable for irrational or reckless decisions, particularly ones which do not put care of their constituency at their heart.
“Now, our legal team may say that is unlikely, but the point is to scare the crap out of them personally when they go to vote.”
Although Copeland Borough Council voted in favour of the move to stage four of the process – desk-based studies – Cumbria County Council overruled its, and Allerdale’s, decision.
Lady Verma asked Lord Jenkin to forward her the email so her officials could examine it in more detail.
She said: “I do know that passions were raised on both sides of the argument in Cumbria, but that is right and proper and a proper democratic process.
“I will look very carefully and, if it is something that I need to raise further and it looks like intimidation, I will take it as a matter for perhaps the police to look at.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- UPDATE: Van driver sustains minor head injury after A590 crash
- Cumbria great-grandfather wins £727k share of Lotto jackpot
- Sandwich and coffee chains serve up jobs boost for town
- Barrow students sign up to save a life and continue Ulverston girl’s legacy
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- South Cumbria Musical Festival entrants well versed in spoken word round
- Key performances from musicians at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Firm hopes £5m Barrow Island flats revamp will attract new tenants
- Police investigate report of assault against boy at Barrow AFC ground
- Tribute to Barrow angler Don
- Barrow AFC winger hoping to be let loose on Stockport
- "We'll be ready" roars Barrow Raiders ace ahead of league opener
- It's 400-up for Ulverston-born Wilkes - Super League next target (2 comments)
- Hawcoat Park come close to causing upset
- Late flourish ends Furness hopes of flattening Fleetwood
- Cooksey does Brook Street proud
- Pete on the Beat: Home Nations have hard work to come
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure (1 comment)
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (7 comments)
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|